Author Topic: 2MB/s transfer with Linkstation LS-XHL  (Read 2177 times)

dasobel

• Calf
2MB/s transfer with Linkstation LS-XHL
« on: November 08, 2009, 11:44:37 PM »

Hi,

I have a LS-XHL and am only getting 1.5 to 2MB/s transfer rates over the network. Here is my network map:

Old netopia DSL router (10/100)  -> Apple Airport Extreme (Gigabit)

Apple Airport -> LS-XHL (firmware version 1.10)

Apple Airport -> Dell Laptop (10/100 and/or 802.11 running Vista)

Apple Airport -> Dell Desktop (1000-BT running XP)

I don't know if this matters, but the airport is functioning in "bridge mode". In other words, the DSL router is functioning as the DHCP server and handing out the IP addresses. All devices are on the 192.168.1.<xxxx> subnet. I was expecting to get closer to 8 or 9 MB/s, as I realize that I'm limited by the fact that I'm running 100-BT ethernet. However, the 1.5 - 2 MB/s rate I'm getting is disappointing.

As a test, I connected the LS-XHL directly to my PC via an ethernet cable. As expected, I got ~9.5MB/s transfer rate. As another test, I copied some big files from my desktop to my laptop, and I only got 2MB/s transfer rate also.

My "wild guess" is that the old Netopia box is somehow limiting the transfer rate. Ideally, the data should never hit the netopia box, as the path should be LS -> Apple Airport -> PC, but I'm guessing that the netopia is getting involved since it's the DHCP server. (I'm a bit of a networking novice, so this is a total guess.)

Can anyone suggest what I can do to improve the transfer rate? Should I setup the Airport as a DHCP server? Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

David

PCPiranha

• Big Bull
Re: 2MB/s transfer with Linkstation LS-XHL
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2009, 06:32:16 PM »

The fact that the airport is bridged shouldn't slow down to transfer rate, but it definately appears (since you get better speeds driectly connected) that either the bridge or the router is the problem.  Try disconnecting the airport from the router/modem and set it up as a router.  Then connect the LS directly to the airport and check the transfer speeds.  This will at least give you an idea of whats causing the problem and who to contact regarding the matter.