Author Topic: LS-QL subfolder permission problem from OS X 10.6.1  (Read 5749 times)

fireteller

• Calf
LS-QL subfolder permission problem from OS X 10.6.1
« on: November 07, 2009, 05:20:43 PM »

System: LS-QL 6GB Firmware version 1.11

Access: As afp share via Airport Time capsule from lap top running OS X 10.6.1, also tested via SMB from linux and hardline.

Issue: Share mounted and accessible via afp.  A number of folders are in use with no issues.  I copied a large chunk of files into one folder and tired to set permissions to "Read only" using command-i info window on the parent folder (a top level folder just under the share folder itself).  After changing permissions the folder becomes inaccessible due to permissions.  Checking command-i info window again reports permissions are "custom" and will not allow them to be restored to Read/Write or any other settings.

Notes: Access restrictions manifest in SMB, and web interfaces as well.  However, only afp interface allows the sharing & permissions settings to be altered (i.e. to be broken).  Also attempting to delete the broken folder to recover the storage results in a finder error: "The operation can’t be completed because an unexpected error occurred (error code -8072)."

Steps to reproduce:

1) Create and mount a share via afp in OS X.
2) Create a folder ("test")
3) Create a sub folder within that folder ("test2")
4) Using command-i on "test" folder Under Sharing & Permissions, set 'everyone' to "Read only"
5) Attempt to navigate into the "test" folder.  It is no longer accessible, and test2 can not be reached.
6) Open info window again (Command-i) and see "Privilege" is now set to "Custom" and is not changeable

Need a workaround to restore permissions/access, and a firmware update to address this bug.

You should classify this as a critical bug as it causes immediate and irrevocable data loss.

Thanks,
f

Kameran

• Big Bull
Re: LS-QL subfolder permission problem from OS X 10.6.1
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2009, 08:55:36 AM »

Sorry we do not support or have the ability for our devices to have permissions set up on sub level folders.  Only permissions you can setup is on the root level folders.

fireteller

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2009, 09:29:08 PM »

Yes I think that's clear.  But that is not what this post is about. I went to some effort to be very clear and provide all necessary information, but if I'm not explaining it clearly then please ask me any question that would help you to understand.  I'd be happy to go into any detail you require.  It will help us, but more importantly it will help you with a very severe bug.  

This post is about what appears to be an error in your afp implementation that allows a user to attempt to modify a subfolder's permissions.  Functionality that does not work and should not be allowed, as you point out, however you are in fact allowing it.  I'm not asking you to allow it, I'm telling you that you *are* allowing it and that is causing the error.

So the issue and request are still the same:

We need a workaround to restore permissions/access, and *you* need to update your firmware to address this bug because it is very destructive to your product.

Thanks,

f

PCPiranha

• Big Bull
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2009, 09:48:05 PM »

I will send this to our developers

fireteller

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2009, 08:28:54 PM »

Any response or updates?

Thx,

f

fireteller

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2009, 04:09:45 AM »

I just need to know if there is a way to recover the storage that is consumed by the inaccessible files.  It's crippling my 6 gig device by nearly 3 gigs.  So can you just tell me how to delete the files that have been damaged in this way? Even if you don't have a patch or a solution to resolve the issue, I just want to use the capacity of the device I purchased.  

Thanks,

f

fireteller

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2010, 09:34:01 PM »

Still no movement on this issue?  I'm very surprised that this issue isn't flagged as the highest posable priority for a firmware fix.  It effectively 'bricks' your product.  Please get a move on because meanwhile I am strongly discouraging anyone from buying Buffalo products until it's resolved!

Thanks

hamburger_gamer

• Calf
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2010, 12:42:33 PM »

I have got the same issue. I copied a chunk of files from Mac OS X 10.6 to the Linkstation Live into the public share. Permissions for subfolders were obviously copied as well, resulting in other users besides the one having copied the files onto the Linkstation not having access to these subfolders. When I tried to "fix" permissions the folders were messed up-noone has access anymore through the finder. Access works through the (html-) WebAccess. FTP does not work either.

Please fix firmware to not allow this happen.

Do I need to reset to factory default to start with full capacity?

Dustrega

• Big Bull
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2010, 02:11:10 PM »

When we send a problem to our firmware developers (who are in Japan btw) that means it gets added to a list of problems for each unit.  If we say we've sent the problem up then it's been sent up.  We don't write the firmware and post it next day and sometimes it can take even longer because other firmware bugs can arise during the process of the "fixes" being written.  We appreciate the patience you have displayed in this scenario and the problem is being addressed.  In the meantime don't set permissions via your OS.

VirtuaMcPolygon

• Calf
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2010, 02:07:12 PM »

If it's any help. I've been getting this problem on two folders on my linkstation drive. Custom priv in 10.6. 

The only way I could delete them was to boot into windows xp via parallels I have installed and XP could read the folders and delete them fine?!

bizzare..

AndyT

• Calf
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2010, 09:33:19 AM »

I've been using 2 link station and 2 Tera stations for 12 months now with no real problems. However for some reason its all gone to pot. I've got folders I can't access or delete, I've got folders and files dissapearing, and permisions on almost every folder has gone to pot.

I've called support to be told "we only support Mac OSX on the new Tera station 3" so our 2's are useless. Do I bin nearly £3k worth of kit and buy new from buffalo no I'll bin them and buy Drobos instead. Buffalo you should not be selling products saying they can be used with Macs and Appletalk if they are unstable! Furthermore you should be offering a firmware fix or a trade in for our old machines.

agulstene

• Calf
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2010, 01:21:03 PM »

Yup - been having the same problem with my terrastation 2 with weird permissions issues.

Tech support says that everything worked fine until OS X 10.6.x came out and it's a MAC OS problem.  Asked if they were going to update firmware to deal with issuer ... response:  no - the terrastation works fine - it's MAC OS that messes things up.

how nice

agulstene

• Calf
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2010, 02:52:12 PM »

As a work around creat all the folders on the desktop of the MAC and then drag them onto the NAS - everyone should then be able to access all the files - beware though - if a client accesses and changes any file on the NAS the permissions will be buggered again.

psjj

• Calf
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2010, 10:10:08 AM »

It happened to me also on 10.5.8. I can see the files via web access but cannot do anything about it as these are AVHCD files.

At least the next version of web access menu or firmware should have a copy/move function so these wrong permission files can be moved to another drive.

Buffalo should put a big warning sticker on the package wrt subfolder permissions and mac.