Author Topic: XBox 360 won't recognize NAS (Buffalo Linkstation Pro Duo)  (Read 6140 times)

sirtlc

• Calf
XBox 360 won't recognize NAS (Buffalo Linkstation Pro Duo)
« on: November 06, 2009, 01:04:19 AM »

I'm trying to get my Xbox 360 to play files that I'm keeping on on my Buffalo Linkstation Pro Duo (LS-WTGL-R1) but it won't show them. While the Xbox 360 works great to view files from my laptop, I can't figure out how to get it to view files on my NAS. So frustrated! I keep all of my media files on the LS Pro Duo but can't play them from the xbox360. suggestions?

here's some more info on what i have and steps i've taken: 

> I enabled web access for the Pro Duo and confirmed that it works - is that needed for this? 

> I'm using Linksys WRT110 for router, and I have upnp enabled. 

> I bought the LS Pro Duo in middle of 2008; some people on these boards were chatting about "Twonky" but I wasn't clear if this is something I already have preinstalled and need to activate or need to add or install or what.

> Microsoft seems to encourage users to unnecessarily go through their laptop to use WMP software so they haven't been helpful in troubleshooting 

> The Buffalo Linkstation Pro Duo user manual says it's DLNA certified, so I don't understand what I need to do to l get it to communicate with my Xbox 360

Do I need to download anything additional to get this to work?

Can you help?? Any assistance would be very much appreciated. 

sirtlc

• Calf
Re: XBox 360 won't recognize NAS (Buffalo Linkstation Pro Duo)
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2009, 01:11:05 AM »

also, i tried going to http://your-LS-PRO-DUO-IP:9050 and got an error message (Page not found - connection failure. 

Oops! This link appears to be broken)

PCPiranha

• Big Bull
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2009, 12:10:38 PM »

The XBox 360 is not a DLNA certified device.  Also if you have the version one Pro Duo (only has 1 USB port and a reset button) it doesnt use twonky, it uses MediaBolic.  MediaBolic will not work with the 360 at all.

nacampbell

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2009, 06:29:24 PM »

After hours of frustration I found the solution through googling. You need to access the operating system on the Nas and re-initialize the Twonky server. On mine it clearly didn't complete the initial setup correctly and as such I couldn't access the Twonky frontend. There is a walk through online somewhere but i can't find it just now. My 360 will now stream everything I need from my NAS.

sirtlc

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2009, 10:05:14 PM »

Hi PCPiranha, i confirmed that i have that first version with just 1 USB slot. Is there something i can add on or install or download to make my  Buffalo LS Duo R1 work with Xbox 360 or do i need to buy a whole new NAS?

PCPiranha

• Big Bull
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2009, 10:15:19 PM »

Unfortunately there is nothing that can be done about that.  You would want to get a NAS that has twonky (one of the only media servers I have seen work with the 360 honestly)

sirtlc

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2009, 07:24:48 AM »

how do I know which NAS products have Twonky?  Do all the new Buffalo NAS products have it?   Do the Pro, Live, Duo, all have Twonky?  I can't find where it says on the specs. Do other brands have Twonky built in?

Pro: http://www.buffalotech.com/files/products/LS-XHL_DS.pdf

Live: http://www.buffalotech.com/files/products/LS-CHL_DS.pdf

Pro Duo: http://www.buffalotech.com/files/products/LinkStation-Pro-Duo_DS.pdf

PCPiranha wrote:

Unfortunately there is nothing that can be done about that.  You would want to get a NAS that has twonky (one of the only media servers I have seen work with the 360 honestly)

PCPiranha

• Big Bull
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2009, 02:46:11 PM »

The CHL, XHL, Quad and Pro Duo version 3 all have twonky.

The only units that use mediabolic are the Original TS, LS Home Server, LS Pro Duo Version 1, TS Live and the HS-DHTGL

sirtlc

• Calf
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2009, 05:37:22 PM »

Since I already have a NAS where I keep my files, I was thinking of getting a media player to just bypass the xbox. If so, would Linktheater HD Media Player work with my Buffalo Linkstation Pro Duo R1 (original version) to show media like video files on my TV?  

On the specs it says "Easy Playback from Buffalo LinkStation Live™ or TeraStation Live™ Series Products" but doesn't list my NAS model.

http://www.buffalotech.com/products/multimedia/linktheater-hd/linktheater-hd-digital-media-player/

Colin137

• Big Bull
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2009, 08:37:13 PM »

The Linktheater HD is a DLNA compatible device, so it should work with any DLNA compatible media server. All devices that have a media server besides the original Terastation and Linkstation will work with the Linktheater.