Author Topic: BuffaloNAS.com registration fails with Linkstation LS520D. Router is BT Hub 5  (Read 1505 times)

Donach

• Calf
I recently bought a Buffalo Linkstation LS520D as a NAS. It works fine on my home network but every time I try to register a name on www.buffaloNAS.com it fails, giving an error message of 'Could not get data'. Registering it is necessary to enable the remote access apps to work. I've spent most of the week back and forth with the Buffalo helpdesk but we just can't work out what the problem is. It sends this message whether I try to register a name that's already in use or one that's been verified as not in use yet.

I've tried putting the NAS in a DMZ and temporarily disabling the BT Hub firewall as well as using UPnP or not, using HTTPS or not, and making various Port Forwarding rules. I also reinstalled the firmware and repeatedly reset the Linkstation settings.

I'm using a BTHub 5 on Infinity 2, so FTTC. I tried to swap in another router but that didn't work as it didn't have a VDSL modem in it.

If I enter my external IP address with :9000 appended I can get into it, but this is far from an ideal solution, particularly on a mobile phone. However, this shows that the NAS is accepting connections from the outside, so it appears that something is stopping the NAS from communicating out to the buffaloNAS server. I also can access www.buffaloNAS.com from my other devices.

Has anyone got any ideas what the problem could be or something else I could try?

bobstar_fr

• Calf
HI
I have exactly the same problem as you with the same symptoms and the same effects since the name of my LS-520D was removed from Buffalonas.com due to prolonged inactivity.
When I want to re-register with a new name (or the old name), I have the same result as you.
After numerous discussions with the technical service, the problem is not resolved for access via "Buffallonas.com/NAS Name".

Fortunately, I have 2 fallbacks for communicating via the Internet with my LS-520D.
I would like to point out that via the local network (LAN) everything works very well.

- 1st solution: Access the NAS via “NOIP.com Domain:NAS port number” by creating a domain name on NOIP.com (It’s free). This remedies a dynamic IP of the Internet box.
- 2nd solution: Access the NAS via “Internet Box IP:NAS port number” provided that the Internet box has a fixed IP.

Regards
« Last Edit: December 06, 2023, 12:11:20 AM by bobstar_fr »