Author Topic: Write Access to root Directory on ts-htgl/r5  (Read 505 times)

peak4

• Calf
Write Access to root Directory on ts-htgl/r5
« on: November 26, 2023, 04:24:54 PM »
Hello, I have a couple of older ts-htgl/r5 units, which I've been using for several years.
They only come with SMB-1 enabled, so need that setting in Windows 10, which isn't ideal for security reasons.
I've come across a possible fix to upgrade to SMB-2, using ACP Commander to enable SSH & set a temporary root password on the box.
When I try and log on to root using WinSCP, the password I've apparently successfully set with ACP Commander v1.5.6 (GUI) doesn't work.
I can use WinSCP to read the root directories using admin access & password fine, so it's talking to the box; I can't modify and save the files unless logged on as root, but the password is rejected.

Anyone any thoughts please, as I'd like to dispense with SMB-1 and also access these boxes via Windows 11

Thanks
Bill

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
Re: Write Access to root Directory on ts-htgl/r5
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2023, 02:18:32 AM »
The units are nearly 20 years old. Stop being cheap and just buy a new one that supports modern protocols.
PM me for TFTP / Boot Images / Recovery files  LSRecovery.exe file.
Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!

• Debian Wizard
  • Big Bull
  • There's no problem so bad you cannot make it worse
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2023, 08:25:38 AM »
Those guides for hacking smb2 support into the stock firmware typically target newer models, I don’t know if that can work or not with this model.

You can always try installing debian on it to get a modern version of samba, though you’d need to configure it yourself manually

peak4

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2023, 01:06:53 PM »
Those guides for hacking smb2 support into the stock firmware typically target newer models, I don’t know if that can work or not with this model.

You can always try installing debian on it to get a modern version of samba, though you’d need to configure it yourself manually

Cheers, I don't know either, but won't be able to find out until I can write and save to root.
I had read a bit about Debian, but have virtually no experience of Linux, though I did put Mint on a spare desktop for emergencies if windows ever has a serious problem.
I  have two of these boxes used for my various backups configured as RAID-5 an in use from my main W10 PC via SMB-1, which I prefer to delete for obvious reasons.
Maybe I can disable the root password with a different access, such as PUTTY but I've never used it, just read about it, and I'd prefer not to brick the box.

I only recently dawned on me that I'd need to sort this out when I picked up a W10 laptop and couldn't access any of my various backups.

I also have an LS220 box which I can map OK on W11.

Do you know any good guides on running one of these on Debian; I've had a general browse about, but a bit clueless on Linux to be honest.

Bill

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2023, 01:42:43 PM »
Honestly, if you don't have any Linux experience then put it out to paster and move on with your life.
PM me for TFTP / Boot Images / Recovery files  LSRecovery.exe file.
Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!