Author Topic: Moving disks from one Buffalo NAS to another  (Read 1956 times)

IsletJohn

• Calf
Moving disks from one Buffalo NAS to another
« on: June 30, 2020, 03:04:42 AM »
Hi!

I currently have a Buffalo NAS LS421DE and it has stopped working. The two disks inside (i've had them in raid1 mirroring mode) seem to be intact though. Can i just buy a new Buffalo product and move the disks into a new NAS?

Thank you

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
Re: Moving disks from one Buffalo NAS to another
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2020, 03:10:37 AM »
Can i just buy a new Buffalo product and move the disks into a new NAS?

No.

Whats the exact error with the LS421?
PM me for TFTP / Boot Images / Recovery files  LSRecovery.exe file.
Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!

IsletJohn

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2020, 03:17:19 AM »
It stops working during / after bootup and red led light starts blinking 7 times. I tried removing the disks and rebooting (waited for 15 mins)  but the problem persists. Ive learned from the forum that it indicates a problem with a faulty flash / firmware or something.

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2020, 06:47:32 AM »
The OS is corrupt and needs to be reinstalled, since the OS is on the disks themselves so even if you move the disks to another unit of the exact same model you will have the same issue.

Reinstalling the OS will have to erase the data on the disks, if you dont have a backup then contact a data recovery company.
PM me for TFTP / Boot Images / Recovery files  LSRecovery.exe file.
Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!

• Debian Wizard
  • Big Bull
  • There's no problem so bad you cannot make it worse
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2020, 09:32:03 AM »
If you don't need the data, here's notes on how to re-install starting with blank drives:
https://forums.buffalotech.com/index.php?topic=30419.0

7 red blinks usually means it couldn't find the boot partition on the drive, 6 means it found the partition but couldn't load the boot files. Both are typically signs of drives failing (most problems are drive related).

Occasionally it is because of an issue with the power supply. Sometimes folks lose the original 4A adapter and replace it with a similar one that only supplies ~1A. This can result in the device starting but failing to initialize the drives. The same thing can happen if the power adapter is starting to fail.

IsletJohn

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2020, 12:13:20 AM »
Thank you both for your answers. I definately need the data and I have to consider my options here.

oxygen8

• The Oxy-genuine article
  • El Toro
  • Giving you some breathing space.
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2020, 04:30:04 AM »
On LS421DE you can use disks from a second LS421DE

This is not able on LS520 and other.

But you can also copy your data from one disk to a pc with mdadm.