Author Topic: Connecting to an old LS-500GL from a Mac  (Read 2498 times)

Yakr

• Calf
Connecting to an old LS-500GL from a Mac
« on: May 28, 2020, 11:24:38 PM »
I have a 15 yr-old Buffalo LS-500GL NAS on my home network, with all my music on it.  It still connects fine to Sonos and plays the music OK, so it’s on the network OK - but I can no longer connect to it (i.e., to add new music) with my iMac or MacBooks.  Has something happened where it's now out of compliance with OS X?

The symptom when trying to connect is that it asks for a username and password - and previously (for 15 years) I just select Guest and my iMac connects ok.

Is this a firmware type thing, and OS X (I'm on Catalina 10.15.5) has gone past the point where this device is still supported?  This device has been bulletproof and I'd hate to just chuck it for no reason.

• Debian Wizard
  • Big Bull
  • There's no problem so bad you cannot make it worse
Re: Connecting to an old LS-500GL from a Mac
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2020, 06:54:25 AM »
I hope this is just a backup, all hard drives wear out eventually.

This is most likely because the ls-gl only supports SMB1 which is not allowed by modern OS because of security concerns.

Yakr

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2020, 10:07:15 AM »
Thanks for this answer - I quickly googled SMB1 and you appear to be exactly right.

All my Macs are now Catalina and verifying to make sure that they would still connect OK to this device hadn't crossed my mind when I was checking all my apps for 64-bit/Catalina functionality.  I have nothing in the house that can connect to it (although I can still use it with my Sonos system, I just can't add anything to the library). 

Fortunately I do have all my music backed up elsewhere, but it's shame to chuck away this device since it's been working so well for so long.  That's progress I guess.

Thanks again, I appreciate it.

• Debian Wizard
  • Big Bull
  • There's no problem so bad you cannot make it worse
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2020, 03:38:33 PM »
If you’re into that sort of thing you could install Debian on the device. This would allow you to run a modern version of samba that supports smb2/3.

Details for doing that can be found here:
https://github.com/1000001101000/Debian_on_Buffalo

There are posts elsewhere on the forum with instructions on how to enable smb2 on some devices that don't officially support it, but I think those are all newer devices than this.

Yakr

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2020, 10:30:55 AM »
I found some answers that suggest that NetBIOS is disabled in macOS 10.5 (Catalina) - and that to re-enable it I create a file /etc/nsmb.conf and have it include port445=both.

I was really hopeful that this would be the answer so I set this up - but still no joy.

Is this likely to be a SMB1 NAS and Catalina might talk to SMB2 if I do the above but no earlier - it just doesn't talk to SMB1 at all?

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2020, 03:24:41 AM »
You could just use FTP to access the NAS instead of SMB.
PM me for TFTP / Boot Images / Recovery files  LSRecovery.exe file.
Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!