Author Topic: 2TB drives with HS-DHTGL/R5 with 2.14  (Read 10337 times)

abrrymnvette

• Calf
Re: 2TB drives with HS-DHTGL/R5 with 2.14
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2010, 10:48:50 AM »

Just saw you asked what drives I used. I'm using WD Caciar green  WD20EADS-00S2B0

John_Toscano

• Calf
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2012, 03:53:13 PM »

It sounds like one lucky soul has replaced all 4 of his drives with 2 Tb drives, and was able to create a RAID5 array, though in his post he did not explicitly state that he got the anticipated 6 Tb of space (3 drives worth of data plus 1 drive worth of parity to allow the array to recover if one drive fails).

OTOH, I' ve been running with four WD Caviar Black WD1002FAEX drives for 18 months without incident, until one of the drives appeared to fail. I asked WD to replace it under warranty, and they did not have any re-certified WD1002FAEX drives to replace it with, so they sent me a WD2002FAEX (2 Tb) drive instead. Unfortunately, I have not been able to make the TeraStation DHTGL work with three 1 Tb drives and one 2 Tb drive. I've tried everything I can think of, including deleting the RAID5 array, formatting the 4 drives, temporarily connecting the 2 Tb drive directly to my computer's eSATA port and filling half of the space with a 1 Tb NTFS partition so the drive would have about the same amount of free space as the 1 Tb drives, re-creating the array, etc. (Yes, all the data are backed up elsewhere, so there is no problem with losing data, unless my backup fails while I keep fussing with this backup device.) I have no problem creating a RAID1 array with two of the 1 Tb drives, but cannot create a second RAID1 array with the 1 TB and 2 Tb drive pair. Of course, my original intention was to create a RAID5 array with all four drives, allowing half of the capacity of the replaced drive to go unused, but no such luck with that (which was actually the first thing I tried to do after replacing the drive).

Under Disk Mangement menu, all four drives are identified correctly (correct type, correct size), and I can format and/or test each of the 4 drives successfully as single drives, but as soon as I try to create a RAID array with two different-sized drives, it fails with an error message:

RAID Array error. The File System or Disk Format is not readable.

Looks like I'm going to have to buy a new 1 Tb drive after all, and put the 2 Tb drive into an external case for extra storage...

zaklee

• Calf
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2012, 10:12:21 PM »
abrrymnvette - Did your 2TB upgrade work out to be reliable? I just ordered Seagate Green 1.5TB drives to install in this unit. Should have read more before ordering it seems.

jongig

• Calf
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2012, 07:12:55 AM »

Can anyone update on the use of larger drives. I'd like to upgrade my 4 drives.

abrrymnvette

• Calf
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2012, 07:30:11 AM »

The 2Tb drives worked out just fine for about a year. I can't vouch for any longer than that as I left the company. But we had 6TB of space.

jongig

• Calf
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2012, 07:48:07 AM »

You had 6TB because you used raid-5? Do you recall what drives you used? I had read somewhere that their could be a power supply issue with larger drives.

capnjb

• Calf
Sourcing Drives Re: 2TB drives with HS-DHTGL/R5 with 2.14
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2013, 03:40:53 PM »

Hi!  I am searching for replacement/upgrade drives for my HS-DHTGL/R5 - (2.14 firmware) - Presently there is no data on the drive so I can rebuild from scratch.  I saw a post here that someone has used WD HDD WD20EADS-00S2B0 with success.  I too would like to use 2TB drives but cannot find the afore mentioned drives that are new only used or refurbed.  Does anyone have a HHD model that is in current production and not over the moon pricy that will work.  Any proven information would be appreciated... The unit has worked great for me but I really need to jack up the capacity a bit.  Thanks da capn

jongig

• Calf
Re: Sourcing Drives Re: 2TB drives with HS-DHTGL/R5 with 2.14
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2013, 06:29:45 PM »

I looked for information from my own research and couldn't find it. I was going to replace mine with 2TB drives and was sure it would work from my research. After looking at the price for the drives I decided it would be nearly as costly to purchase a new Buffalo NAS drive. Good luck...