Author Topic: Using HD-GD3 with Mac 10.15 Catalina OS  (Read 1609 times)

barkleygracie

• Calf
Using HD-GD3 with Mac 10.15 Catalina OS
« on: April 09, 2020, 09:53:42 AM »
I recently switched from a PC to a Macbook Pro, which is wreaking havoc with my external drive.  The drive is intermittently not recognized, and I am no longer able to add things to the drive.  I have downloaded the most recent firmware, to no avail.

Does anyone have any solutions short of reformatting the external drive (and thereby losing all my stored data)?

Thanks in advance for for any advice!

Kane88

• Buffalo
Re: Using HD-GD3 with Mac 10.15 Catalina OS
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2020, 11:09:19 AM »
Dramatically faster and smaller SSDs with the same capacities can be had for less than a tenth of those prices, so every current Mac either has an SSD by default or as an option. Running cooler, quieter, and with superior energy efficiency than traditional hard drives, SSDs have fewer failures, and reputable manufacturers tend to warranty them for longer than their predecessors.

This is incorrect.

I don't think you're going to find a 3tb ssd drive for a reasonable price- any time soon.

SSDs fail just as often if not moreso, than traditional hard drives.  And warranties are generally not longer.  Most mfs are only providing 3 year warranties on SSDs.  And I can't count how many SSDs from many mfs (outside of samsungs), do indeed die within a year.  The failure rate is too high.  Stick with the magnetic for data storage, it will last longer.  SSD is ok for a boot drive, but be prepared for it to die within a year- in many cases.

https://www.therevisionist.org/reviews/ssd-vs-hdd-one-reliable/

• Debian Wizard
  • Big Bull
  • There's no problem so bad you cannot make it worse
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2020, 12:19:02 PM »
Generally, when a new user copy-pastes something only vaguely related to the thread topic like that it’s because they are spamming.

Usually they wait a day or two and then edit their post to insert links to shady websites to try to get them into search engines.

barkleygracie

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2020, 09:37:58 AM »
Just for the record, I am not a scammer. This is a legitimate problem for which I was hoping to get some suggestions to correct.

• Debian Wizard
  • Big Bull
  • There's no problem so bad you cannot make it worse
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2020, 09:57:15 AM »
Sorry, I wasn't referring to you.

I was referring to the post that @Kane88 replied to which has since been removed.