Author Topic: LS420 will not connect after Win10 reimage  (Read 1675 times)

dbarsun@yahoo.com

• Calf
LS420 will not connect after Win10 reimage
« on: April 02, 2020, 10:11:29 AM »
All,

I've read through a lot of these posts, and have tried several suggestions, but can't seem to map my NAS to my PC. Within NAS Navigator2, clicking "Browse" does nothing. When trying to map the share, I get the message; "Could not map the sare. Create a folder named 'share' before mapping the drive."

I have a Buffalo Linkstation 420 purchased in early 2016. I upgraded to Windows 10 Pro in the Summer of 2019. Everything was working great, and I had the NAS mapped to my PC which I could access through file explorer. My PC crashed a few days ago, and I re-imaged it with Windows 10 Education edition. I reinstalled NAS Navigator2, and have been working on configuring it. I made sure SMB2 was enabled. I've rebooted the PC and NAS, and still no luck. I'm reluctant to enable SMB1 on my PC because of the security risk. Unfortunately I'm unsure if SMB1 was enabled prior to my PC crashing a few days ago. Does anyone have anything for me to try next?

• Debian Wizard
  • Big Bull
  • There's no problem so bad you cannot make it worse
Re: LS420 will not connect after Win10 reimage
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2020, 12:21:00 PM »
I think some folks may have had to do something with Windows firewall as well, I don't know details but imagine there is a post somewhere.

dbarsun@yahoo.com

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2020, 04:32:06 PM »
Thanks for the quick reply. I disabled the Windows firewall and rebooted my PC, but no luck.

dbarsun@yahoo.com

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2020, 06:01:00 PM »
I think I have a solution, but I'm not sure how it worked. I enabled SMB 1.0 on my PC, and then disabled SMB2 Protocol on my NAS. I rebooted my PC, and then had access to the share on my NAS. I mapped the drive, and rebooted. Then, I disabled SMB 1.0 and enabled SMB2 Protocol on my NAS. Rebooted again, and the share is still mapped and I have access. I also re-enabled the firewalls and it all works. I'm not sure how...

Kane88

• Buffalo
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2020, 09:23:15 PM »
Well, at least it is working for you.

I don't think it's a windows firewall issue for the drive access.
I have mine turned on and it connects to LS and TS NAS drives- just fine.

I think the problem was in the firmware for those models.  I want to say the NAS itself was dropping the SMB 2.x support each time the NAS rebooted.  I think the user was disabling and re-enabling SMB 2.x using the nas web console, and just leaving the NAS powered on after the reboot.

I don't remember if the person was enabling or disabling protocols on the Win10 machine.  I don't think they were.