Author Topic: LS-WVL806 Won’t do Raid Check or Maintenence  (Read 5576 times)

Ringfinger

• El Toro
LS-WVL806 Won’t do Raid Check or Maintenence
« on: March 21, 2020, 10:11:50 AM »
I have my unit set up to do a daily check for errors and a weekly check on the raid does a scan.

I’ve noticed now for the last two weeks none of those tests will initiate any more.  I sent a test email to my address from the web interface and that worked fine so I know it’s communicating in that regard.  I initiated a check disk and no errors came back.  I went ahead and rebooted the unit on three separate occasions over two days and still it does not perform any of those daily or weekly checks. It’s operating fine as far as reading and writing and have had no access issues nor are any lights flashing. I initiated a manual raid check on it and basically for a half hour it did not make any progress, it sent an email to me saying it started so I know that it started, and the error lights are code 15 which I believe is checking raid array error but again I never see any lights flashing otherwise and after I reboot that all disappears.

Those lights do not flash normally and after I rebooted it they disappeared and just a power light stays on.

I am not sure what to do next would appreciate some advice.

Kane88

• Buffalo
Re: LS-WVL806 Won’t do Raid Check or Maintenence
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2020, 07:45:40 AM »
Are you having some issues with corrupt data?  What is the reason for scanning so often?

It sounds like a drive has failed or the array has failed.  And quite possibly from doing so many raid checks.

I have no idea how to remedy this, without replacing a drive, and we can't tell what drive(s) have failed apparently, until the scan completes.

Don't forget that drives are workload rated today.  Anything that shipped from buffalo in the last few years, probably doesn't have a high rating.  The seagate baraccudas and wd green drives they have used before- have somewhere between a 50tb to 150tb workload rating per year at best.  Depends on the model.  You'll have to see what your specific drives are rated for.

Many newer Seagate drives today only have a 55tb per year workload rating.  And even current WD Red drives don't go as high as a 200tb per year rating.

If you're going to thrash drives weekly scanning like that- then you need to get some enterprise grade drives, or the WD blacks that have a 500tb per year rating, WD red pro, seagate barracuda pro or ironwolf pro, etc.

I'd consider cutting that scan back to monthly or quarterly...  daily reports should tell you if you have bad sectors.

Ringfinger

• El Toro
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2020, 07:22:31 PM »
Wow, never realized that. I do raid scan weekly, that’s not good?  Daily check is okay, right?

Works fine now. Seems when I changed the time a few weeks ago for dst it messed it up?  Anyway nas navigator kept asking me to sync time with computer time. Anyway I did that yesterday and all works now. Go figure.

I replaced both drives last year with red drives. They always are spinning. Is there a way to set them to only kick on when accessed?  Seems like that would be a good idea but how?

Kane88

• Buffalo
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2020, 10:28:24 PM »
It all depends on what your NAS is used for, and how you use it.  Do you have static mappings from multiple machines that could get some corrupt data problems, if you shut the NAS down?  There is a way to schedule a sleep timer in the console.  If you use that, be sure any open files on it- are closed.

IDK what was up with the daylight time thing.  There's settings for that too in the console.  My terastation sets the time from the default time server buffalo uses for that.  Linkstations can do the same thing.

Leaving the drives on and spinning should be ok, but it will kick up the power on hours.  I leave mine on that way 24/7, but I also rotate my drives out in upgrade periodically, which also helps avoid most drive failures.  And my useage is not super heavy either. 

WD red drives are great for buffalo units.  But I would not scan them each week, unless there is a need to.  Like when you start seeing some data access problems or corruption problems.

I've had an array of 4 of those reds running RAID 0 in a TS3400 for almost two years now.  Never any problems.  I don't weekly scan, but I do backup and I backup pretty often.

Since raid isn't backup anyway:
I'd be more concerned with making a good weekly backup (or even daily if it is critical stuff) and getting that done, vs a weekly raid scan.

According to the manual for your model, raid scanning should be done for Raid 1.  I use Raid 0 and raid scanning isn't supported for that mode.  Given the time it takes to do the scan and the amount of wear on the disks for it, it's probably best to do it during off hours on a weekend, once per month, or every 90 days.  Or after the power failed, or something else that deemed it necessary. 

You could run a daily error check.  I would be concerned about open files and getting data corruption, because running that error check will kill any ongoing file activity of open files or any running backups.  I run an error check about once a month or so, or when windows has trouble accessing things on the NAS, etc.

Kane88

• Buffalo
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2020, 11:10:38 PM »
You may want to check with some other users on how often they parity check their Raid 1 arrays...  and search for some of these kind of articles:

https://serverfault.com/questions/588217/how-often-should-i-scrub-my-raid

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/60860-how-often-do-you-run-a-parity-check-and-do-you-think-monthly-is-necessary/

Ringfinger

• El Toro
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2020, 05:55:30 AM »
Thanks for all the information. I’m literally the only one that uses the drive so if I shut my computer off then there are no open file since I don’t leave any open and no one else is accessing it.

Ringfinger

• El Toro
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2020, 05:59:46 AM »
If I flip the switch to auto, will it automatically shut off the drives whenever I close my laptop lead and it goes to sleep? What about when it needs to do the raid scan let’s just say once a month and my computer is asleep or the daily check will it initiate it even if I computer is off?

And by the way, the RAID checks take about 4 hours when they execute.  i will change to monthly. 

Also, what if I set up a weekly back-up to an attached to the NAS  back-up drive, will that wake it or do I have to do this manually?  I like to do incrementals as it takes less time.  Thoughts?  I would like to use a Buffalo drive attached to my NAS and it is controlled through the web interface for the NAS.  Seems simple so I don't want to mess that up.  Buffalo says I have to format it as exFAT, can I do that with this?  Also my NAS only has a USB 2.0 standard type output and this says it is 3.0, how can I connect the 2?

https://www.buffalotech.com/products/drivestation-axis-velocity
« Last Edit: March 25, 2020, 09:31:29 AM by Ringfinger »

Kane88

• Buffalo
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2020, 08:04:08 PM »
I don't know.  I never have used a linkstation in that way.
Maybe someone else has some ideas. 

I would suggest reading up on the documentation for your unit.  It will tell you how the sleep modes work.

http://in.faq.buffalo-global.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/12261

oxygen8

• The Oxy-genuine article
  • El Toro
  • Giving you some breathing space.
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2020, 03:26:35 AM »
These old devices can sleep and wake up.
It will not go to sleep, if a internal job (backup, raid check) is running.

Copying from a pc to the nas is no internal job.
Without the wol package every 3 mins the nas will go to sleep.

Ringfinger

• El Toro
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2020, 02:49:58 PM »
OK I got it. Let me be More specific.

If I have a job scheduled like a daily scan. If the computer is asleep, will that job automatically run on the NAS or will it delay it or will it not run?

Second question, if I hook up a back up drive to my Nas to do a weekly back up of the NAS. Does that Nas need to be on and functioning to run that job or will it automatically wake up to do it if my computer is off and asleep and I have it scheduled?

Third question, If I buy that drive that I have linked, will that connect to my current NAS that only has the old type USB output?

Kane88

• Buffalo
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2020, 11:02:45 PM »
Yes, the linked drive should work for backup. 
Any usb 2.0 or higher drive should be fine for backup purposes.
Since the port on the linkstation is only usb 2, you won't see super fast backups.

As for the external drive waking up and going to sleep?  That's another matter.  I have no idea. 
Maybe that drive itself has some power off settings.
I doubt the nas will turn that external drive on and off, as needed.
It might turn on and off the smaller bus powered 2.5 drives?  I have no idea for sure.

If it was me, I would probably use the sleep timers to have the nas wake up 10 mins before the backup is to run.

AFAIK, the sleep timers run off the internal clock.  As long as the nas unit is on, it should do whatever it is scheduled to do.  I have no idea how that works in the auto mode.

I was under the assumption that the NAS Navigator app keeps the NAS awake, as long as the pc/laptop is awake.  I want to say one of the manuals says that somewhere, but you'll have to read.  Maybe that's specific to certain linkstations- unknown.  I have not used a linkstation in this way.

Oxygen would know more about that, I have no idea what the wol package is.

oxygen8

• The Oxy-genuine article
  • El Toro
  • Giving you some breathing space.
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2020, 01:39:56 AM »
"If I have a job scheduled like a daily scan. If the computer is asleep,"

The nas will wake up for all jobs you have crated in the webif.
It will not wake up for a backup software on a pc.
(without wol)

Ringfinger

• El Toro
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2020, 05:11:59 PM »
Okay, I think I get it.  So, since the NAS has a normal USB (I guess 2.0) output, how do I hook it up to the back-up drive because that has a USB 3 small input or does the adapter it comes with have the right connector?  When It comes to USB I have no idea how that all works.

I'll just leave the PC running when it's back-up night or switch it to on so the NAS does not got to sleep as I noticed last evening the daily scan did not run because the computer was asleep so  so much for that theory. 

For the back-up I do, should I set it as Normal, Overwrite append or Overwrite differential?

Ringfinger

• El Toro
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2020, 08:14:24 AM »
I'll figure the other stuff out but can anyone help with the question For the back-up I do, should I set it as Normal, Overwrite append or Overwrite differential?

• Debian Wizard
  • Big Bull
  • There's no problem so bad you cannot make it worse
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2020, 10:46:48 AM »
The manual includes a description of each. Take a look at them and decide which best meets your needs.