Author Topic: Disk Errors and Testing  (Read 2252 times)

Starb7

• Calf
Disk Errors and Testing
« on: March 09, 2020, 05:06:09 AM »
Hi All

I have just got a new line of text appear on the bottom of the 'Activity Report' as follows:

[DISK error status]
 Disk1   32

Presumably 'Disk1', the only one as it is an LS120D, is failing and from what I can tell, it has 32 (from none to 32?) bad sectors - is that correct?

There's no LED warning, ie that is solid white as normal and this is set as a backup unit and so the folders/shares are [X] Backup types.  Now, I would like to do a disk check on it but there are dire warnings:

Warning: Before running the disk check, check that the disk is not set as a backup device. Do not run the disk check if the disk is set as a backup device.

Q. If I ran a disk check on it would that destroy the data in the 'Backup Folders' or is there another reason why a check should not be run?

TIA

Kane88

• Buffalo
Re: Disk Errors and Testing
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2020, 12:49:58 PM »
Correct, there are 32 bad sectors on that disk.

Is the backup already shot?  Probably, yes.

Worst case scenario: assume any and all files in that backup set are already corrupted.  It's probably not that drastic, but it's more than likely several files have been lost already.  even 1 bad sector can trash a 1TB disk image or VHD file.  I really don't know how 'spare areas' work in a super technical sense when it comes to bad sectors.  I think its a 50/50 thing at best- as to if any system can truly recover the the actual data from a bad sector, and move it to a good one.

At this point, you need to do a full backup of the known good source data (not the data on the nas itself), and put it on an entirely different disk.  Even usb disk(s) directly connected to a windows pc would work in this situation.

If a disk is bad, it generally is only going to get worse.  I would run the disk check after you have made an adequate backup.

The problem with the 210d units is that they have no internal fan.  A horrible buffalo design flaw IMHO.  They're heat traps.  I wound up opening the cases on the two 210s that I have.  They seldom get used, and when they are used- they're used without the lid on them  See link.  I would NOT do this until after you've adequately backed up your data.  Since the drive is shot, you can put a new wiped one in it- and TFTP load it just like a 2 disk unit.

Keep in mind, opening the case WILL void the warranty.  If your unit is still under warranty- I would definitely contact buffalo support about getting it replaced.

http://forums.buffalotech.com/index.php?topic=24955.0

Starb7

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2020, 12:52:43 PM »

Worst case scenario: assume any and all files in that backup set are already corrupted.  It's probably not that drastic, but it's more than likely several files have been lost already.  even 1 bad sector can trash a 1TB disk image or VHD file.  I really don't know how 'spare areas' work in a super technical sense when it comes to bad sectors.  I think its a 50/50 thing at best- as to if any system can truly recover the the actual data from a bad sector, and move it to a good one.

At this point, you need to do a full backup of the known good source data (not the data on the nas itself), and put it on an entirely different disk.  Even usb disk(s) directly connected to a windows pc would work in this situation.

If a disk is bad, it generally is only going to get worse.  I would run the disk check after you have made an adequate backup.

The problem with the 210d units is that they have no internal fan.  A horrible buffalo design flaw IMHO.  They're heat traps.  I wound up opening the cases on the two 210s that I have.  They seldom get used, and when they are used- they're used without the lid on them  See link.  I would NOT do this until after you've adequately backed up your data.  Since the drive is shot, you can put a new wiped one in it- and TFTP load it just like a 2 disk unit.

Keep in mind, opening the case WILL void the warranty.  If your unit is still under warranty- I would definitely contact buffalo support about getting it replaced.

Thanks Kane88 pretty much what I expected and I had already backed up original data as you said - good advice.  Thanks.

antuxd

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2020, 08:54:12 AM »

Thanks bro! I was having similar issues. Your help really helped me!
« Last Edit: April 25, 2020, 11:45:34 PM by antuxd »