Author Topic: TeraStation™ WS5400 Rackmount - Change to Buffalo OS  (Read 4354 times)

gingerybuddha

• Calf
TeraStation™ WS5400 Rackmount - Change to Buffalo OS
« on: February 26, 2020, 10:58:15 PM »
Hello,

Just acquired a TeraStation™ WS5400 Rackmount.  I tried to build the raid array but came back with an error on bay 4. What I would like to do before i proceed any further is to change from windows server to the Buffalo OS as the fan is constantly on and my rack is 10 feet away from me in my office.

Is it possible to wipe the OS drives that have Windows server on it and change it out for the Buffalo OS that allows for fan control?

Sorry if this is a stupid request but seeing my options.

Thanks

As3nd0r

• Tatanka
Re: TeraStation™ WS5400 Rackmount - Change to Buffalo OS
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2020, 05:39:01 AM »
Different hardware between ts and ws, I would rather look into why the fans are on full speed all the time before changing the OS, just in case there is a hardware issue/ temperature issue. If that's ruled out you can still change the os if preferred.

Normally that behavior happens if the Buffalo software isn't installed correctly. Did you try a recovery(assuming you have the image) ? Is the actual image on it that is supposed to be on it or did someone just install a random Windows server image?

Aspirat primo Fortuna labori
Me duce tutus eris

gingerybuddha

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2020, 05:42:03 AM »
Server 2012 is the default image, and it has all of the buffalo extra software that was suppose to come with it.  It looks like on windows server from what I've found online, that when it needs to turn the fan on it will only do it to 100%, and on the buffalo os, it will step up the fan speed, which is what im looking for.

As3nd0r

• Tatanka
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2020, 06:04:53 AM »
You are probably better off installing debian instead of a customized firmware on dissimilar hardware  For fan control check https://github.com/1000001101000/Debian_on_Intel_Terastations - not sure if that was tested with the ws5400R, 1000001101000 can help you out better here

« Last Edit: February 27, 2020, 06:08:26 AM by As3nd0r »
Aspirat primo Fortuna labori
Me duce tutus eris

gingerybuddha

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2020, 06:15:43 AM »
I found that as well, but github is scary to me.......In other words, i've tried to build a image from it on another project but failed miserably

• Debian Wizard
  • Big Bull
  • There's no problem so bad you cannot make it worse
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2020, 09:10:35 AM »
You have a few options available to you.

0. You could probably talk to Buffalo support about why the fan is running on high inside Windows Storage Server. I've never run Windows on one of these devices but am under the impression fan control is part of the buffalo software.

1. You can install the linux-based Buffalo firmware as you suggested. As far as i know there is no hardware difference between the TS/WS models. I know folks have done this successfully on the earlier V-series WS devices, I'm reasonably confident it would work for the 5000 series as well.

Buffalo provides a "Bootable USB recovery image" you can use for that process:
https://www.buffalotech.com/support/downloads/terastation-5000n-series

Notes on running the install can be found in this post:
http://forums.buffalotech.com/index.php?topic=30419.0

2. You can install Debian on the device using the Custom installer image mentioned by @As3nd0r
https://github.com/1000001101000/Debian_on_Intel_Terastations

The Buffalo firmware should control the fan speed for you based on motherboard and hard drive temperature sensors. This can cause problems if one of your drives is reporting an erroneously high temperature (some SSDs do this). The standard Fan control daemon in Debian sets the fan based whichever motherboard sensor you choose which would allow you to ignore such a drive and just run the fan based on CPU temperature.

gingerybuddha

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2020, 11:31:00 AM »
Thanks for the response.  I'll post back what happens.

gingerybuddha

• Calf
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2020, 10:34:04 PM »
Option 0 isn't really a option as it's out of warranty by a long shot

Was working on option 1 - got usb recovery key setup on my windows pc - no issues
I used diskpart on one of my 4 hdd to clean any partitions on it
Was able to get the ws5400 to boot from drive
I selected HDDroot during the linux boot, it will get to username/password login, from here, I held down the info button and was able to get the system recovery process to start
Eventually it came back with a disk 1 not on message repeated and then it outputted exiting 0
I have not been able to get past this point, was working on it all night and had to shut it off as my girls went to bed.

is the error I'm getting coming from my Linux inexperience or is there something super simple that I am missing?

I can get better details tomorrow once I get off of work if anybody needs them
« Last Edit: February 27, 2020, 10:54:57 PM by gingerybuddha »

• Debian Wizard
  • Big Bull
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2020, 09:09:09 AM »
Sounds like you're getting pretty far.

I think once it gets to the login prompt you're essentially in EM Mode. From that point I usually do the install via TSUpdater rather than use the actual recovery disk as intended. That process may be more forgiving.

In either case you'll want to ensure you have all 4 drives installed and blank (though there is a way around that if necessary).

Kane88

• Buffalo
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2020, 09:53:00 AM »

Was working on option 1 - got usb recovery key setup on my windows pc - no issues
Was able to get the ws5400 to boot from drive
I selected HDDroot during the linux boot, it will get to username/password login, from here, I held down the info button and was able to get the system recovery process to start
Eventually it came back with a disk 1 not on message repeated and then it outputted exiting 0
I have not been able to get past this point, was working on it all night and had to shut it off as my girls went to bed.

is the error I'm getting coming from my Linux inexperience or is there something super simple that I am missing?

I can get better details tomorrow once I get off of work if anybody needs them

I did the WS-WV Windows 2008 series to WS-WVHL series recently with the help of our binary code friend.

I would assume the WS5400 would be the same as a TS5400

If that's the case, you need to simply build the Emergency Mode disk, and then just load the Terastation 5400 firmware / Buffalo OS.

I don't know how you built your usb recovery key.  You need to follow the steps here to do it though.  That's where I started at anyway for the WS-WV unit:
https://buffalonas.miraheze.org/wiki/Create_Recovery_Disk_for_Intel-based_Terastation

I have no idea what fan speed my Terastation 5400 is at currently.  (I have never seen anything about fan speed in the console) I can hear it whir quietly though.  My 5400 doesn't get heavy use.

• Debian Wizard
  • Big Bull
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2020, 10:08:58 AM »
gingerybuddha is trying to use the recovery image provided by Buffalo for the TS5000 series. It saves the hassle of creating a custom one and has more features.

Kane88

• Buffalo
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2020, 10:46:26 AM »
gingerybuddha is trying to use the recovery image provided by Buffalo for the TS5000 series. It saves the hassle of creating a custom one and has more features.

Oh, I didn't see that.   I thought theirs were the same as yours.  I've never seen an actual buffalo recovery usb key.

Kane88

• Buffalo
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2020, 10:46:53 AM »

I'm pretty sure ALL drives have to have diskpart clean ran on them.  Make sure they're all wiped.

gingerybuddha

• Calf
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2020, 10:47:11 AM »
I'm going to try the tsupdater method tonight, but I am down for building the github option.  Will need a little help on that if possible

gingerybuddha

• Calf
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2020, 10:47:53 AM »
@kane88 should have stated I only had one drive in while attempting this