Author Topic: Cannot access shares after power failure  (Read 2747 times)

sendow

• Calf
Cannot access shares after power failure
« on: October 26, 2009, 11:33:49 PM »

I had a 3 hour power failure recently and it ran my UPS down completely, causing my TeraStation Live 4TB (HS-DH4.0TGL/R5, Firmware 2.14) to lose power.

The unit powered back on fine, and did not have any boot or kernel errors like I have had previously.  However, I can no longer access the unit through windows networking or access any of the shares.

1. I can access the unit via the HTTP admin pages, and see all pages and info without issue.
  2. I can ping the unit (192.168.25.5) from Windows 7, Server 2008, and Server 2003 machines
  3. The unit shows up in NASNavigator2
  4. The unit shows up in the TeraStation Client Utility (proper name, IP, firmware, etc.)
  5. Power light on
  6. Error light off
  7. Message light off
  8. Drive lights flicker occasionally like normal
  9. The LCD display is normal, no signs of any issues
  10. NAS Navigator cannot browse the shares
  11. TeraStation Client Utility cannot find any shares
  12. The TSUpdater.exe firmware utility cannot find the unit
  13. Does not show up at all in in Windows Explorer
  14. I cannot map a drive letter
  15. Cannot browse to unit from any machine (even if I add an entry in hosts or lmhosts)
  16. I have tried resetting the TS password again to make sure it matches my windows password
  17. I have tried mapping a drive with the "Connect using different credentials" option (password dialog keeps popping up over and over)

I have tried rebooting my desktop, I have tried rebooting the TeraStation. 

My interpretation is that something about the windows networking is not working properly, but I can't see any indication as to why.

Should I just try and reflash the firmware?

sendow

• Calf
Re: Cannot access shares after power failure
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2009, 11:35:21 PM »

I tried to provide more information, but there must be a crazy nun enforcing some insane content filtering on these posts, so several of my items were blocked.  If you need more info, just let me know.

sendow

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2009, 11:13:45 AM »

Quick update:  I am able to connect via FTP, but still nothing via Windows networking.

sendow

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2009, 12:48:57 PM »

Well, all of a sudden the shares on the TeraStation appear to be accessible from Windows again.

I ended up using FTP (from within Windows Explorer) to transfer a file to the device, and that worked fine.

An hour after doing that, I tried opening NAS Navigator, and the shares suddenly were accessible and the TS shows up in the Windows network.

The unit is also now accessible from other servers, and I'm able to copy via Windows Explorer.

Can't explain the cause, and don't know what made it start working again, but it does seem to be okay now.