Author Topic: LS220D Sleep Timer Time Zone SOLVED  (Read 6672 times)

burt

• Calf
Re: LS220D Sleep Timer Time Zone
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2020, 05:20:31 PM »
Sorry for this omission:

Forgot to mention my LS220 has (2) 1TB drives. I'm sure this will affect the time.

Thanks all.

Herb

Kane88

• Buffalo
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2020, 02:22:16 AM »
I have no idea how or why you are seeing 'Create RAID array', unless you've already reloaded the firmware.  If I remember right, the LS220D defaults to RAID 1 when the firmware is loaded.

If you are reloading the firmware and starting over from scratch:
Then before doing that, I would suggest taking the drives out, wipe them, and on a windows machine- do a full write surface scan on each one.

It is possible there may be bad sectors on these disks, in areas where the firmware was being stored. 

The only way you'll be able to fully tell- is to get a software like hard disk sentinel (it is free from www.hdsentinel.com) and do a full write surface scan.

Do the tests and let us know what the smart info is, this way we can rule out any drive failure problems.  Although bad sectors might not be the problem, it doesn't hurt to get them ruled out.

burt

• Calf
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2020, 12:33:09 PM »
I have no idea how or why you are seeing 'Create RAID array', unless you've already reloaded the firmware.  If I remember right, the LS220D defaults to RAID 1 when the firmware is loaded.

Sorry my memory is so foggy so quickly. Frankly I didn't have much hope this was going to work.
From what I remember I think the default is RAID 0 as I had to select RAID 1 and wait for between 2 and 3 hours for it to complete.

If you are reloading the firmware and starting over from scratch:

Yes I did per this from Buffalo Tech Support: "With the previous test ruing out a caching issue, with the interface reverting changes after they are saved and this is confirmed not a browser caching issue this has come down to a case of probable firmware corruption. The previous update of firmware could have potentially fixed this issue however it was not guaranteed.
However if this is a case of firmware corruption these is a 100% clean cut way of resolving it, however it does destroy any data on the unit.
Please make sure any critical data is backed up before trying the steps that have been attached to this email."

Then before doing that, I would suggest taking the drives out, wipe them, and on a windows machine- do a full write surface scan on each one.
It is possible there may be bad sectors on these disks, in areas where the firmware was being stored. 
The only way you'll be able to fully tell- is to get a software like hard disk sentinel (it is free from www.hdsentinel.com) and do a full write surface scan.
Do the tests and let us know what the smart info is, this way we can rule out any drive failure problems.  Although bad sectors might not be the problem, it doesn't hurt to get them ruled out.
This did take a long time (not with hdsentinel) but the drives are okay. I'm not so sure with all of the internal software in modern drives this testing has a lot of value. My $0.02

The ntp server problem seems to be fixed.
SMB appears to play nicer on my network.
It will take a few weeks before I'm confident of the Sleep Timer.

Herb

Kane88

• Buffalo
Re: LS220D Sleep Timer Time Zone SOLVED
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2020, 11:13:06 PM »
Modern drives might mark them as weak sectors, which still can lead to problems.  It is always best to run a surface scan when in doubt.  Bad sectors need to be marked bad, so that disks are properly useable, especially in these devices that have little error reporting and troubleshooting tools.

We have no way of telling how old a person's drives are, or if they have been mishandled.

Viewing SMART data doesn't mean the buffalo device itself is actually marking bad sectors and remapping them, to where the drive(s) operate correctly.

And sometimes underlying problems don't appear, until such full tests are ran.

When in doubt, I do a test. 

I'm glad your disks are ok.

What did you do to fix the NTP problem?

burt

• Calf
Re: LS220D Sleep Timer Time Zone SOLVED
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2020, 11:28:41 AM »
What did you do to fix the NTP problem?
As I understand this process it reloads firmware and replaces operating system files on the disks.
I downloaded the LSUpdater files, modified the lsupdater.ini file and ran LSUpdater as instructed in a pdf file Buffalo Tech Support sent me.
I would have attached the pdf but I can't seem to find how to do that.

HOW TO:
This will update the firmware, and files on the disk drive(s).

It will DESTROY ALL YOUR DATA on the all drives.  BACKUP, backup your data.

STEP 1:
Modify LSUpdater.ini

[Flags]

VersionCheck = 0

NoFormatting = 0    (This is different compared to https://herzig-net.de/?page=unbrick_ls-wxl )

[SpecialFlags]

Debug = 1

STEP 2:
Run LSupdater.exe

STEP3:
Click:  on top left corner (there are some gold rings there)
Select:    Debug(D)…

STEP4:
Windows opens with title:  DeBug Mode   (there are 8 check boxes, check ALL eight)
_Update BOOT      _Do not check version
_Update KERNEL   _Rebuild partition table
_Update initrd      _Delete user-config
_Update rootfs      _Force update

STEP 5:
Click:     OK

Be patient and follow the prompts.

The unit will have to be totally configured as if it is new. All user settings and data has been wiped out.
END of HOW TO:

This procedure will update the firmware and not destroy the data (hopefully I wouldn’t take the chance), back up first.
https://www.buffalotech.com/knowledge-base/updating-the-firmware-on-a-terastation-or-linkstation-from-a-windows-pc

Herb

burt

• Calf
Re: LS220D Sleep Timer Time Zone NOT Solved
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2020, 01:50:25 PM »
Hello,

Regrettably today 20 April 2020 I see that my LS220D will NOT sync with the NTP server.

My view of this Buffalo device sinks lower and lower with each passing day.

Herb

• Debian Wizard
  • Big Bull
  • There's no problem so bad you cannot make it worse
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2020, 02:47:10 PM »
That might explain some of your email issues too. If your system clock is messed up SSL connections will be rejected.

If all else fails, you can install Debian Linux on it rather than the stock firmware:
https://github.com/1000001101000/Debian_on_Buffalo

burt

• Calf
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2020, 02:28:54 PM »
Finally this is put to rest.
Embarrassing error on my part.
 I have a RG (Residential Gateway) for my ADSL service from AT&T. That feeds an Archer C7 router that provides wireless and wired ports. It allows binding of MAC addresses with IP addresses. As I map several drives in Windows is is very handy having them at fixed addresses.
My error was I mistook an 'B' for a '8' in the LS220's MAC. It worked if I select DHCP but not when assigned a static IP to the NAS.
Fixed this and everything seems to be working including the email notifications. gmail would not work. Got message from Google that a non-secure device had tried to access gmail. Changed to an AT&T email account and it worked.
Herb