Author Topic: TS-QVH8.0TL/R6 8TB - Wipe /Admin password  (Read 5384 times)

Garlick1

• Calf
Re: TS-QVH8.0TL/R6 8TB - Wipe /Admin password
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2020, 11:54:16 PM »
Found a thread where Davo had some software for for the firmware and ISO. Was able to download that and install on a USB

Terrastation powers on with Boot Failed Error code. I have not been able to move past that, except from one time

Some how, I was able to get the NAS to boot into emergency mode and see it in Navigator.

TSUpdater also picked it up, but would not let me update the software or debug

I attempted most of the provided steps and have hit dead ends. (Mostly because of my linux knowledge)

I think erasing the array really caused issues on getting it up and running.

I'm pretty much ready to throw in the towel on this. I've invested a lot of spare time and some money trouble shooting something that you would think should be easy..lol

If anyone has a way to get the system to boot, let me know.. Seems like I'm getting sucked down rabbit holes when trying to figured out whats going on.

Thanks again!

• Debian Wizard
  • Big Bull
  • There's no problem so bad you cannot make it worse
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2020, 06:13:02 AM »
If you’ve managed to get into EM mode you’re 90% of the way there.

Did you edit the config file to enable the debug options?

Garlick1

• Calf
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2020, 09:09:20 AM »
If you’ve managed to get into EM mode you’re 90% of the way there.

Did you edit the config file to enable the debug options?

I only got to EM mode 1 time and that was on accident, not sure why that one time it booted up.

The rest of the time it has started up with the boot fail code.

The one time is was in EMM I attempted to run the debugging option, but it did not do anything.

Thanks again!

RLG

• Debian Wizard
  • Big Bull
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2020, 09:19:32 AM »
Kane88 may be able to help you with building a recovery disk, they were able to do it recently.

Otherwise I believe Buffalo support can provide you with one for a fee.

Kane88

• Buffalo
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2020, 02:26:00 PM »
Kane88 may be able to help you with building a recovery disk, they were able to do it recently.

Otherwise I believe Buffalo support can provide you with one for a fee.
Does it use the same boot files as the one we built for the WVHL recently?  I have no idea what boot files he needs for the QVHL.

And a ?
Have you ever used E2B before?  It is a linux multi boot for USB.
Is it possible to get these ISOs to work with that?  I'm having to rebuild sticks often to get either the EM ISO or the Debian ISO to boot.
Getting them into E2B would save me some time and less headaches... :)
Thanks
https://www.easy2boot.com/

Something about the GRUB loader on them- it doesn't like. ..

• Debian Wizard
  • Big Bull
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2020, 03:16:41 PM »
Does it use the same boot files as the one we built for the WVHL recently?  I have no idea what boot files he needs for the QVHL.

Exactly the same. He's looking to do exactly what you did (only without the 2-drive issue).

Kane88

• Buffalo
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2020, 07:37:53 PM »

Exactly the same. He's looking to do exactly what you did (only without the 2-drive issue).

Garlick, send me a PM.  Worst case, maybe the ISO I made- will work for you.  I'd like to see Davo's link.  He had many articles here.

Thanks.

Garlick1

• Calf
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2020, 11:08:48 AM »
1.   Decided this morning to switch out the drives in the NAS. The system had 4 – 2TB WD greens in it and I didn’t really want to use those for a NAS, so I replaced them with 4 Htachi enterprise drives. Before adding them, I formatted and made new simple NTFS volumes on a different PC, so it would be a fresh start.

2.    Still getting the same “Boot Fail” Error after switching out the drives

3.   Had issues with USB boot recovery stick erroring out and looking for the OS when using it to boot into the NAS – I was using a Linux USB installer on Windows 10. Decided to switch it up and use a different USB boot installer – Used Universal USB installer and created the bootable flash drive

4.   Started NAS in USB mode with the new Boot image/recovery image, was able to get past the “Boot Fail” error and it started loading the firmware from the USB
5.   After loading the Firmware onto the new array, the system was recognizable in Navigator and showing up in Emergency Mode in Navigator

6.   I used the TS-Updater to find the NAS and ran an update on the system

7.   It asked if I would like to format the drives (This has been the farthest I have gotten when reinstalling the firmware

8.   After formatting the new drives, the TS-updater application started download and installing the firmware to the drives

9.   After completion, I restarted the NAS without the USB
10.   I was able to login with the default admin password and the array/drives where present.

Small issue I had is the firmware used defaulted to Japanese, but was lucky to find an option to switch it to English.

I also reached out to Buffallo’s official support and they told me it was not possible to add the firmware onto new drives. That doesn’t really make sense on a pro-station, what happened if you lost disk, how would you ever replace them?

I want to thank 1000001101000 and Kane88 for all the support the last few days!  Thanks!  I’m definitely going to stop in and see if I can help other figure out their issues!  Thanks again!! I would say this thread is closed

• Debian Wizard
  • Big Bull
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2020, 02:21:03 PM »
Great!

Kane88

• Buffalo
« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2020, 02:44:00 PM »
Good.  Glad it worked.  I would wipe the greens and retest them.  They should load the same way you just did with the hitachi drives.  This way you have a spare set, or use them for something else.  One of them might be bad, who knows.

You won't see a speed increase with the enterprise drives on buffalo units.  They will just handle a higher workload.  Those kind of drives are better off in a dedicated server or desktop to truly see the performace increase.