Author Topic: LS220 W10 SMB Issues  (Read 8684 times)

Kane88

• Buffalo
Re: LS220 W10 SMB Issues
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2020, 07:57:50 PM »
There have been some comments made about USB drives for backup connected to the NAS USB port. It worked for me but took a veeerrry long time time.

As far as reading the backup USB drive I have not had a problem. I formatted it as NTFS before connecting it to the LS220.
Ran the backup, disconnected from LS220, connected to a USB port on my Windows 10 desktop and there are the files totally readable.

Here is a link to possible formatting options for the USB backup drive:
http://cn.faq.buffalo-global.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/10348

Waiting on response from Buffalo (I hear hoof beats in the distance).

Burt

I think this is part of the problem.  Regardless, Buffalo needs to update their documentation.  They need to be more specific on NTFS and how it works with this unit.

Your link shows
--
NTFS
(USB hard drive only)   Yes   Yes   
Unable to format on the Web Admin interface.
It is working as Read-only. (Unable to write at the backup/replication either).
--

That said, I am curious what happens when you use FAT32 as it has full read/write support according to your article.  But of course you'll be limited to 4GB size files at most.

The USB port is only USB 2.0, so it will be slow.  You'll be lucky to hit 40MB/sec max writes if the unit can handle that.  Figure at least 7 hours per terabyte of data at that speed.

At least it is semi-working for you.  I couldn't even get that far with older firmware.

widomaker

• Calf
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2020, 12:00:44 PM »
I see there is a new firmware version (1.74) out, today (Feb 5 2020).  I'll try that this evening and see if it resolved the SMB issue.

-Bob

• Debian Wizard
  • Big Bull
  • There's no problem so bad you cannot make it worse
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2020, 01:10:09 PM »
[Release Notes]
Version 1.74 [2020-02-05]
Added and Modified Features
[SMB]
• Modified so that SMB protocol versions to be enabled become selectable.

Bug Fixes
[WebAccess]
• Fixed a bug where files were not accessible via WebAccess if UPnP is enabled for the WebAccess settings.

widomaker

• Calf
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2020, 11:42:43 PM »
Hello,

I have installed the new firmware (1.74) that was released, today.  I can see the new SMB option to specify which version (Auto, SMB1, or SMB2) to use.  I have tried selecting AUTO and SMB2.

When attempting connections, the problem issue remains exactly as previously described.  The same temporary "work-around" (toggling the setting) still works until the next NAS reboot.

Best Regards,
Bob

Kane88

• Buffalo
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2020, 06:14:46 AM »
Hello,

I have installed the new firmware (1.74) that was released, today.  I can see the new SMB option to specify which version (Auto, SMB1, or SMB2) to use.  I have tried selecting AUTO and SMB2.

When attempting connections, the problem issue remains exactly as previously described.  The same temporary "work-around" (toggling the setting) still works until the next NAS reboot.

Best Regards,
Bob

Before you do anything, do a full backup first.
Something is either stuck, or it is not saving a setting.

I think you need to do what As3nd0r mentioned, and reload the firmware in debug mode, with delete user data partition checked.
I would assume doing that- will wipe out everything you've saved on that nas.  So definitely do a full backup first.

If it was me, I'd do a full backup, then wipe the drives, and just start over loading the new 1.74 firmware in debug mode, with all the boxes checked for update and config.  This way everything is indeed forced to the defaults and cleared out also.

burt

• Calf
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2020, 01:20:06 PM »
This is the end, I hope.
Did nothing to make the i54 error go away other than removed the backup job, shut the power off waited a while and turned it back on. Ran for several days with no backup job. Recreated the backup job. Ran for a few more days. Ran backup job to completion on USB drive plugged into the LS220, no problems. Unit has been running for about 10 days. My problems started at about the time of a Windows 10 update.
I tried running SMBv2 for about 5 days. Computers keep disappearing and re-appearing on my 3 desktop, 1 laptop and the LS220, network. Must confess I gave up and went back to SMBv1. Problem free for over a week. My view is u$oft has a real problem with their implementation of SMBv2.
Until the next problem.......

derekpittx

• Calf
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2020, 07:30:23 AM »
Hello,

I have a very similar issue.  I've got a case open with Support.  They said that they haven't seen any other reports of the issue.

In my case, I also have a Win7 and Win10 workstation connecting to the NAS.  Just recently (sometime after January 17, 2020) the Win10 stopped connecting to the NAS, with the error, "You can't connect to the file share because it's not secure. This share requires the obsolete SMB1 protocol."  I verified that the SMB2 setting in the NAS is enabled.  I verified that SMB2 was enabled in Win10.

The Win7 connects OK.  However, I suspected this was an issue with SMB2, so I disabled SMB1 on the working Win7 workstation.  After that, the Win7 could no longer connect (until I re-enabled SMB1).  That suggested to me that the Win7 was only working because it was falling back to using SMB1.

What I have recently found is this...  If I start from a state where the Win10 cannot connect, if I toggle the SMB2 setting, in the NAS settings, from on to off, then back on, again, I am once again able to connect from the Win10 to the NAS.  However, if I reboot the NAS, it stops working, until I toggle the setting, again.

I started out with firmware 1.71, and upgraded to 1.73.  No change.

I'm going to send a link to this thread in my next ticket update with Buffalo Support. 

May I suggest that you also open a Support case with Buffalo.

Best Regards,
Bob

Damm even I am having a similar kind of issue, I have searched all over the internet and even have posted on number of threads on different forum, no solution seems to work. I am really frustrated, can anyone of you here help me resolve this issue, I am very much tired now.

widomaker

• Calf
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2020, 10:49:04 AM »
Damm even I am having a similar kind of issue, I have searched all over the internet and even have posted on number of threads on different forum, no solution seems to work. I am really frustrated, can anyone of you here help me resolve this issue, I am very much tired now.

Are you also using one of the LS220 units?  Does toggling the SMB setting, in the GUI, get it working temporarily (until the NAS reboots)?  If so, then you're having the same issue as I am.

My ticket with Support is still open.  They have something they want to try, but I need to find a time outside of business hours to work on it.  I'll post back when I've had time to work on it.

You might want to open a ticket with Support and reference this thread.

widomaker

• Calf
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2020, 05:18:22 PM »
I've been told by Support that another firmware update is under development and should be available soon.

widomaker

• Calf
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2020, 05:19:45 PM »
Well, it's now April and still no fix.

I will never purchase another Buffalo product again.

• Debian Wizard
  • Big Bull
  • There's no problem so bad you cannot make it worse
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2020, 05:27:00 PM »
It has been a rough couple of months, especially in that part of the world.

Did I ever mention you can install Debian on these devices instead of the Buffalo Firmware?
https://github.com/1000001101000/Debian_on_Buffalo

Kane88

• Buffalo
« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2020, 05:44:08 AM »
Well, it's now April and still no fix.

I will never purchase another Buffalo product again.

I wouldn't go that far.  If it's that big of a deal, then get a Terastation and either get rid of the LS220, or repurpose it.  Terastations are much faster.

Kane88

• Buffalo
« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2020, 05:54:43 AM »
Hello,

Best Regards,
Bob

This is for all of you who are having problems:
Since SMB 2.x works with the toggle until a reboot:  then just don't reboot the nas or shut it off.  That said, just don't do anything to the nas- that would make you need to restart it, or shut it off.

That's all that can be done right now (besides installing linux), until if/when Buffalo fixes the problem.

If something else on the nas doesn't work, to where you have to reboot.  Then don't use that feature for now.
If backup jobs are throwing errors that can only be cleared with a reboot, then don't use them.  Do manual backups from a pc for now.
If the sleep timers are acting up and not working right or causing loss of drive access, then don't use them for now.

NAS were meant to be left on 24/7 pretty much anyway.  People shouldn't be rebooting their NAS daily, or even many times in a week- outside of seldom config changes. 

These LS220D units were designed to be low power (The power supply is like 65W or so).  At 10 cents per kilowatt- it's less than 5 bucks per month to leave it on 24/7.

Honestly, I don't know why some people are even using sleep timers with these, or shutting them off at all- to save what- 2 dollars?  It is best to just leave the NAS on and let the drives spin.  All the constant on/off just puts more wear and tear on the disk motors, with all the spin up and spin down.  Any power saved is most likely a wash because the spin up eats up a bunch of power alone. 

-----

The only other suggestion I have - is to create a Virtual Machine and access the NAS with SMB 1.x, don't use the vm for anything else.  If you're super concerned, then block the vm from accessing outside networks.  If you want to make a VM, get Oracle VirtualBox (it is free) or something similar. 

You could do the same with an old pc too.  But don't use that pc for anything other than accessing the NAS.  If it has windows firewall, then just block the system from accessing outside networks.

I have a low risk machine for this purpose (Win 10 with SMB 1.x enabled), as some of the older buffalo terastation units- don't even support SMB 2.x.

If your PCs are behind a firewall (which most of them are these days)  You're probably not going to have SMB 1.x problems anyway.  You just have to be cautious in what you are using and accessing outside of your local network.  Use good judgement. Something has to be accessed outside the network, for SMB 1.x attacks to happen.

burt

• Calf
« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2020, 03:00:24 PM »
This sounds more like there is a firmware issue (or messed up settings) - I would do a reset of the unit via the user interface or reinstall the firmware via debug deleting the user data (settings) partition.

I did this "firmware update via debug" for an issue with the ntp service. SMB seems to be working correctly after that.

Herb