Author Topic: LS220 W10 SMB Issues  (Read 8687 times)

burt

• Calf
LS220 W10 SMB Issues
« on: January 28, 2020, 10:39:19 AM »
Hello,
2 Windows computers:
       1.  LPT W10 Home, wireless connection
        2. N7 W10 Pro, wired connection

N7 works correctly i.e. 1. can map LS220, 2. can see in Network section by name, 3. SMB is OFF & SMBv2 is on

LPT is the problem: with SMB ON: 1. can ping LS220, 2. can map LS220, 3. does NOT show up in Network
                           with SMBv2 ON:  No access i.e. can't map or see in Explorer

I have turned SMB and SMBv2 on and off with Powershell and with "Windows Features"

Yes I have read 25+ posts about the Windows 10 SMB changes.

So N7 works with SMB & SMBv2 but LPT only works with SMB.

There are 2 other computers on the same wireless network all with statically assigned IP addresses.
   3. N8 W10 Pro
   4. HP1 dual boot W10 Pro & Linux Mint.

They can be seen from both LPT & N7. All 4 computers can see each other.

Let's not add Mint to this question but yes I can access the LS220 from Mint, but not sure if it is using SMB or SMBV2 (or higher).

I have not tried seeing the LS220 with N8 or HP1. 

LS220 is running 1.73 firm ware. The update from 1.70 did not seem to make any difference.   

Any suggestions as to why N7 is happy with either SMB or SMBv2 but LPT only works with SMB?

Thanks in advance.

I WILL post back if I ever get a solution or reason why SMBv2 does not work.

Herb

• Debian Wizard
  • Big Bull
  • There's no problem so bad you cannot make it worse
Re: LS220 W10 SMB Issues
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2020, 11:00:16 AM »
so, you have a windows 10 PC that can access the share using SMBv1 but not SMBv2 and you have other windows 10 PCs that work fine with SMBv1 and SMBv2. Sounds like it may be an issue with SMBv2 on that PC, maybe it got disabled via powershell some how?

Sadly I don't know much about configuring SMB in windows.

On a brighter note you could install Debian on the ls220 and use SMBv3 instead.

Installer files can be found here:
 https://github.com/1000001101000/Debian_on_Buffalo

Someone was even nice enough to make a YouTube video showing an install:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfMHlLmsSF8

widomaker

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2020, 03:29:51 PM »
Hello,

I have a very similar issue.  I've got a case open with Support.  They said that they haven't seen any other reports of the issue.

In my case, I also have a Win7 and Win10 workstation connecting to the NAS.  Just recently (sometime after January 17, 2020) the Win10 stopped connecting to the NAS, with the error, "You can't connect to the file share because it's not secure. This share requires the obsolete SMB1 protocol."  I verified that the SMB2 setting in the NAS is enabled.  I verified that SMB2 was enabled in Win10.

The Win7 connects OK.  However, I suspected this was an issue with SMB2, so I disabled SMB1 on the working Win7 workstation.  After that, the Win7 could no longer connect (until I re-enabled SMB1).  That suggested to me that the Win7 was only working because it was falling back to using SMB1.

What I have recently found is this...  If I start from a state where the Win10 cannot connect, if I toggle the SMB2 setting, in the NAS settings, from on to off, then back on, again, I am once again able to connect from the Win10 to the NAS.  However, if I reboot the NAS, it stops working, until I toggle the setting, again.

I started out with firmware 1.71, and upgraded to 1.73.  No change.

I'm going to send a link to this thread in my next ticket update with Buffalo Support. 

May I suggest that you also open a Support case with Buffalo.

Best Regards,
Bob

burt

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2020, 10:21:01 PM »

"Sounds like it may be an issue with SMBv2 on that PC, maybe it got disabled via powershell some how?"

Anything is possible however it's pretty easy to check the status of SMBx on Windows with Powershell (x below is version number of SMB).
Get-SmbServerConfiguration | Select EnableSMBxProtocol
This will return TRUE if that version of SMB is available else FALSE is returned.

To turn SMBx off or on:
Turns OFF:
Set-SmbServerConfiguration -EnableSMBxProtocol $false

Turns ON:
Set-SmbServerConfiguration -EnableSMBxProtocol $true

"On a brighter note you could install Debian on the ls220 and use SMBv3 instead."

Over the last few years I have dabbled with Mint wishing to move from Windows. I have found it to be quite frustrating. It seems there are 3 or 4 approaches to a task with subtle variations. So you need to check the date of the info and what edition 12, 15, 18, or 19 it applies to. Without becoming somewhat of a guru it seems I'm always a little hazy about what's really going on.

As mentioned I did get the Mint box talking to the Windows boxes but it was anything but straight forward.

Could I follow the conversion to Debian on the LS220, probably. However if something bobbles along the way it's lostville.

Thanks for the info but I think I'll pass.

Kane88

• Buffalo
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2020, 10:23:42 PM »
N7 works correctly i.e. 1. can map LS220, 2. can see in Network section by name, 3. SMB is OFF & SMBv2 is on

Any suggestions as to why N7 is happy with either SMB or SMBv2 but LPT only works with SMB?

From Bob's description of his issue- it sounds like buggy firmware to me.  From the 1.73 release notes, they did do some more patching.

Sounds to me like SMB 2.x is not turned on from the Linkstation (even though it might say it is in the console), and the N7 machine is only accessing it with SMB 1.x.  I seem to remember encountering a similar problem with SMB 2.x, right around the time I stopped using that model, it may have been around firmware 1.70.  I do recall that older versions did not have SMB 2.x on by default.  Even after the firmware update, maybe the setting is still off. 

Check the console and see what version of SMB it is set for.  Set it for only SMB 2.x

Then, disable SMB 1.x on the N7 PC.  Leave just the SMB 2.x on, and reboot.
I would clear your dns entries and also your netbios/wins entries on the pc, before rebooting.

nbtstat -R
ipconfig /flushdns
ipconfig /registerdns

If you can't access it with only SMB 2.x only, then the firmware is definitely the culprit.

additional question:  how are you mapping?  by machine name?  or by IP address?
If they're not on the same subnet, you might have some problems mapping by wins/netbios name.

I know with Oracle VirtualBox on windows, you definitely have to map it by IP address.  WINS/netbios doesn't work.

Try the workaround that Bob mentioned, and see if that helps.

When I used a linkstation, I tried the SMB 2.x.  It was just too slow, so I wound up dropping it back to SMB 1.1
The firmware updates according to Buffalo, patch the exploits in that protocol, to where it shouldn't be a security risk.
MS on the other hand on the windows side- unknown. 

Either way: You're going to take a good 30-40% hit in performance.  My write speeds dropped from a good 45MB/sec to 30MB/sec.  I was writing some big files.  Maybe this isn't an issue for other users.

« Last Edit: January 28, 2020, 10:25:20 PM by Kane88 »

• Debian Wizard
  • Big Bull
  • There's no problem so bad you cannot make it worse
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2020, 10:32:04 PM »
Over the last few years I have dabbled with Mint wishing to move from Windows. I have found it to be quite frustrating. It seems there are 3 or 4 approaches to a task with subtle variations. So you need to check the date of the info and what edition 12, 15, 18, or 19 it applies to. Without becoming somewhat of a guru it seems I'm always a little hazy about what's really going on.

As mentioned I did get the Mint box talking to the Windows boxes but it was anything but straight forward.

Could I follow the conversion to Debian on the LS220, probably. However if something bobbles along the way it's lostville.

Thanks for the info but I think I'll pass.

Understandable. I spent a few years in more or less that same place too. Oddly enough I gained a lot of experience tinkering with NAS devices which was easier to recover than my desktop/laptop when something went wrong.

burt

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2020, 11:21:12 AM »
Well new developments. Noticed the error light was giving me a 54 error on the LS220. I have a WD Passport USB HDD connected to the LS220 as a backup device. The activity light on it was blinking occasionally. But there was no backup going on. I had done a backup a few days ago which worked okay.
So I shut the LS220 down and disconnected the USB HDD.
Now all 4 computers can access the LS220 and each other with SMB turned off. SMBv2 is on.
The LS220 is mapped on all 4 but it does not show up in "Network" in file explorer on N7 and N8. It does show up in Network on HP1 and LPT. I can live with that.
Does anyone know if it should show up in "Network"? I have been assuming it should. But we all know about that.
I'll report back in a few days or weeks if it still works, sooner if not.

Kane88

• Buffalo
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2020, 01:26:33 PM »
Well new developments. Noticed the error light was giving me a 54 error on the LS220. I have a WD Passport USB HDD connected to the LS220 as a backup device. The activity light on it was blinking occasionally. But there was no backup going on. I had done a backup a few days ago which worked okay.
So I shut the LS220 down and disconnected the USB HDD.

These and other reasons are why I wouldn't connect drives directly to that port.  I've seen more problems than actual benefits from that port.  I'd say that port is only good for sharing out a 3rd drive that is powered on 24/7.  I do my backups via Windows.  They can be read from any machine.  The linkstation backups?  Not so much.  Everytime I used that port, it had to format drives.  It didn't like me using Windows formatted hdds with it.  If that linkstation dies, you might get stuck with a linux-only readable backup at best- just so you know.  I would test your passport drive from a windows PC, to make sure you can read the backups it makes. 

Does anyone know if it should show up in "Network"? I have been assuming it should. But we all know about that.

I have seen that happen with both terastations and linkstations.  That said, I don't use it.  I don't even have network discovery enabled.

If you can map through command prompt, you should be set.  I wouldn't be concerned with it.  Unless you have users who don't know how to do that.

The more you browse the network, the more windows is likely to attach onto one of your network locations and poll it periodically- causing your systems to become sluggish.  Sometimes windows still thinks shared files are open on a pc, when you have every open file and app closed.  This still happens today on my buffalo terastations, when even the shared files part in computer management- shows nothing is open.

burt

• Calf
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2020, 03:05:56 PM »
Hello,
I started out with firmware 1.71, and upgraded to 1.73.  No change.
I'm going to send a link to this thread in my next ticket update with Buffalo Support. 
May I suggest that you also open a Support case with Buffalo.
Best Regards,
Bob

I opened a case today 29 Jan 2020.
I don't have much hope for a helpful response.

burt

widomaker

• Calf
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2020, 03:57:16 PM »
I opened a case today 29 Jan 2020.
I don't have much hope for a helpful response.

burt

I'm hoping for a solution.  I also have an external USB drive connected, to backup the NAS, that is not accessible from the network.  If using USB drives for NAS backups is problematic on these units, I'm going to want an exchange or refund.  Monday was the last day for me to be able to return it to the distributor, which worries me. 

Kane88

• Buffalo
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2020, 05:39:09 PM »
I also have an external USB drive connected, to backup the NAS, that is not accessible from the network.  If using USB drives for NAS backups is problematic on these units, I'm going to want an exchange or refund.  Monday was the last day for me to be able to return it to the distributor, which worries me.

Definitely test your backups on a Windows machine itself. 
I wouldn't trust those kind of backups, from any nas in general.  Backing them up in that way, is just very limiting in how you can restore it.
I think they are written in a way that they can only be retrieved by the linkstation, or something that uses the linux filesystems.

I wouldn't use a 2.5" passport drive with it.  It probably isn't getting enough power to run that drive reliably.  The linkstations are designed to be pretty low power.
They probably intended the usb port for 3.5" drives that have their own power supply.  Or flash drives that are low power.

I would check with your distributor to see what they can do, if you really want to return it.

burt

• Calf
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2020, 03:53:59 PM »
Hi,

Well got a pretty quick reply from Buffalo.
1. indicated that u$oft has changed things so NAS will NOT show up in "Network"folder so mapping is mandatory. I asked them to verify if that is what they meant.

2. wanted to know about backup job that was running when I got the 54 error. Told them there was no backup job running.

Waiting for reply.

I can so far reliably map the NAS on all 4 windows machines while using SMBv2 (SMBv1 is OFF).

Had another 54 error while not running a backup job. Cycling the power makes it go away and the unit starts up operating correctly.

There have been some comments made about USB drives for backup connected to the NAS USB port. It worked for me but took a veeerrry long time time.

As far as reading the backup USB drive I have not had a problem. I formatted it as NTFS before connecting it to the LS220.
Ran the backup, disconnected from LS220, connected to a USB port on my Windows 10 desktop and there are the files totally readable.

Here is a link to possible formatting options for the USB backup drive:
http://cn.faq.buffalo-global.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/10348

Waiting on response from Buffalo (I hear hoof beats in the distance).

Burt

As3nd0r

• Tatanka
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2020, 06:42:08 AM »
Browsing the "network" is smb1 based so that is indeed gone. MS official line is "map the drives"

On the i54 check if there is still an old job in the job list that failed. If not reset the unit.
Aspirat primo Fortuna labori
Me duce tutus eris

burt

• Calf
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2020, 09:27:36 AM »
Browsing the "network" is smb1 based so that is indeed gone. MS official line is "map the drives"

On the i54 check if there is still an old job in the job list that failed. If not reset the unit.

Thanks for the Windows info.
No backup job has failed. Only one was run and it completed successfully.
The unit has now had the i54 error 3 times when no backup job was running. It shut off completely awhile after the third one.
It acts normally for a while after recycling the power.

Sounds like a failing LS220 to me. Now if I can just get Buffalo to agree.

As3nd0r

• Tatanka
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2020, 01:35:12 PM »
It is extremely unlikely that a hardware issue of the Linkstation itself causes recurring failed backup notifications. If anything hardware related, it might be hard drive issues messing things up here.

This sounds more like there is a firmware issue (or messed up settings) - I would do a reset of the unit via the user interface or reinstall the firmware via debug deleting the user data (settings) partition.
Aspirat primo Fortuna labori
Me duce tutus eris