Author Topic: TS-RHTGL/R5 TFTP Mode E06, Lost Boot Image, Re-flash Firmware.  (Read 449 times)

peak4

• Calf
TS-RHTGL/R5 TFTP Mode E06, Lost Boot Image, Re-flash Firmware.
« on: February 20, 2023, 01:55:51 PM »
First post on here, hopefully providing a brief solution for a problem I encountered with a second hand 19" Rack mount NAS
Specifically a Terastation Pro, several years old and long since discontinued.

Essentially, I bought a TS-RHTGL/R5 to complement one I already have up and running, but it came without any drives.
A visit to ebay and 4 x 2TB drives later, and I thought I'd be up and ready to go.
I was wrong  :(   It looks like the firmware is stored on the HDDs, rather than on memory in the NAS.

I spent several days searching and found loads of dead links, and articles about other versions of the NAS, but not this one.

There should now follow, enough valid links, at the time of writing, to enable someone to get up and running.

It took a while to work out the procedure, but the blank NAS sits there looking for someone to send it a basic firmware setup
It defaults to 192.168.11.150 and needs a PC on 192.168.11.1 to send the basic firmware

This Link to a file on Media fire worked for me and supplied a valid Boot Image, ready to go, but obviously make sure you do all the relevant virus/malware scans yourself
https://www.mediafire.com/download/xft85q4a0bdftut/TFTP_Boot_Recovery_TS-RHTGL-R5_1.30.exe

It's a self extracting zip file, so save it somewhere sensible and extract accordingly; I used a USB thumb drive, so I could move between different PCs.

Next, you will need the firmware applicable to your device; This was hard to locate on EU or US Buffalo's website, but hides on the Japanese one.
N.B. I was needing the firmware for the TS-RHTGL/R5
The middle R is relevant to the Rack Mounted variant; TS-HTGL/R5 will not load into the 19" NAS.
I found it here
http://buffalo.jp/support_ap/support/products/ts_rhtgl_r5.html

It wasn't obvious, but I came across the firmware download page for the TS-HTGL/R5 and just added the R into the URL

You need both the 1.33 & the 1.35 version of the firmware; Get the appropriate NAS Navigator from the Utilities section of the page and install that on your main PC/MAC as well. The manuals are also available
I didn't need it, as I already had it installed, since I use several different Buffalo NASs.
Download them somewhere sensible; this time they are conventional zip files and will need extracting.

I'd read various stuff about needing passwords and changing filenames etc, but these three extracted folders work fine for me.

Next find a PC, I used a laptop, disable windows firewall and any anti-virus software; also turn off WiFi.
On the wired network adaptor set to a fixed IP of 192.168.11.1 with 255.255.255.0 in the next boxes; don't forget to apply the settings.

Don't power up the NAS yet, but do connect a CAT 5 cable between the PC and the back of the NAS
Run TFTPServerMT.exe which should open a black DOS/CMD window, which sits there awaiting a call from the NAS.
Power up the NAS, and watch the CMD window, which should confirm the download of two files to the NAS.

The screen on the front of the NAS should now have lost the error message, and show something like LinkSpeed 100Mbps Full

I now moved the CAT 5 from my laptop to my network switch, as I run Windows on my PCs; If you're on a MAC network, you might need to re-set the Windows Laptop to auto IP address, and continue to use that.

You should now be able to discover the Terastation on your network by running NAS Navigator. Note the new IP address which is shown on NAS Navigator; on a normal home network, it's likely to be 192.168.1.xxx

You don't actually need the address for now, but seeing it in NAS Navigator, proved the NAS was recognised, and running in Emergency Mode

I did the rest from my normal network PC as I had the files on the USB drive and could walk downstairs and run them from there.
Navigate to the extracted folder for Firmware version 1.33, and run TSUpdater.exe
It took a while, I don't have screenshots, but it opens a window and tells you what's happening reasonably intuitively.

It then sits there awaiting the NAS to re-start; I couldn't work out what was happening, as it timed out twice, but when I went to check the screen on the NAS, it just said shutting down, but never got as far as doing so.
Pressing the power button once initiated the re-boot sequence and the firmware eventually installed itself.
Give it plenty of time, watch the NAS screen and don't get impatient; eventually it tells you it's completed.

NAS Navigator will also show the updated firmware version, and that it's no longer in Emergency Mode.

Repeat the process for the later firmware 1.35 again running the version of TSUpdater.exe from the relevant folder; by default the folder name was TS-RHTGL_1.35_1.39 this time >

The re-boot sequence(s) worked OK without any intervention from me for the later firmware.
Hopefully all will now be up to date.

Next access the NAS, either by typing the network address, shown in NAS Navigator, directly into your browser OR from NAS Navigator, right click the icon, Properties-Settings and you can log in with "admin" & "password" all in lower case.

Unless you can read Japanese you will need to set to your native language, mine's English.

There's a vertical row of tabs down the left hand side of the NAS's screen in your browser once you've logged in
Second one down will be Settings
On the right hand side you need to change the bottom two boxes. (Not the very bottom smaller radio button, which is the Apply Button)
The upper of those becomes obvious when you read the drop down menu; I chose English
The lower box drop down menu less so, but pick the line with CP437 in it
Hit the Apply button and you should now be in and able to read everything.

Good Luck
Bill