Author Topic: TS-QVH8.0TL/R6 8TB - Wipe /Admin password  (Read 5441 times)

Garlick1

• Calf
TS-QVH8.0TL/R6 8TB - Wipe /Admin password
« on: January 23, 2020, 04:50:56 PM »
Hey everyone, I received a TS-QVH8.0TL/R6 from my work and the default admin password has been changed. I would like to completely start over with the unit and wipe everything if possible. I've checked forum post and different site and tried resetting the admin password, but no dice. Any help would be great.  Thanks for your time!

RLG

• Debian Wizard
  • Big Bull
  • There's no problem so bad you cannot make it worse
Re: TS-QVH8.0TL/R6 8TB - Wipe /Admin password
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2020, 05:10:52 PM »
There's a forum post which describes how to reset the password for this model:
https://forums.buffalotech.com/index.php?topic=27646.0

This process can be used to re-install the firmware from scratch:
https://forums.buffalotech.com/index.php?topic=30419.0

and I guide to making a recovery disk for the above process:
https://buffalonas.miraheze.org/wiki/Create_Recovery_Disk_for_Intel-based_Terastation

Garlick1

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2020, 09:28:30 AM »
Thanks 1000001101000, I attempted to reset the password through Linux, but could never get the Terration to boot into the live USB. I've sifted through the other options / Links given, but have hit a dead end.  I'm going to go over everything again tonight when I have some more time. It's great that the protection on these are good, but a little annoying that you can no factory reset..lol. Thanks again for all your help!

RLG

• Debian Wizard
  • Big Bull
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2020, 10:20:58 AM »
Did you flip the switch on the back to tell it to boot from USB?

Garlick1

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2020, 04:23:19 PM »
I did, sorry meant to add that to the above message.

RLG

• Debian Wizard
  • Big Bull
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2020, 06:45:28 PM »
I walked through it with that same model when I wrote that post. What error are you getting?

Garlick1

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2020, 11:12:12 PM »
It's Odd, I never really get an error, it seems to start normally like it's launching the OS/software like normal even if it has USB selected.

• Debian Wizard
  • Big Bull
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2020, 08:53:24 AM »
I believe the switch just tells the bios to check USB first for boot devices, if it can't see a boot sector on the USB it will just move on. It sounds like something is wrong with the usb drive. How did you create it?

Garlick1

• Calf
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2020, 09:56:34 PM »
I found an old ubuntu ISO (14.04.1) and burned it to a USB drive using ImageUSB, maybe that did not make it a "bootable" drive.

• Debian Wizard
  • Big Bull
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2020, 10:16:19 PM »
the most common issue making these usb boot disks is removing the usb before it's done. Unfortunately, many systems will report the write is actually finished.

usually the best first step is to try again and walk away for 10 minutes or so before pulling it out and trying it.

Garlick1

• Calf
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2020, 11:04:06 PM »
Back at it... I was able to get in Ubuntu to boot and got to this step and hit another wall.

9. determine which array is associated with the second partition of each disk (sda2 etc), mide was /dev/md125
lsblk or mdadm -E /dev/sda2 (It looks like mine is /dev/sda2, sdb2, sdc2 etc. Not sure what is needed on this step

10. mount that array to /mnt
mount /dev/md125 /mnt

I found that the array is in a degraded state, is there any way to reset the password in terminal or do you have to mount the array to make those changes, sorry not the greatest in terminal or linux. Overall I would like to wipe the array and start fresh.  Thanks again for all your help!

Kane88

• Buffalo
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2020, 09:11:32 AM »
I found that the array is in a degraded state, is there any way to reset the password in terminal or do you have to mount the array to make those changes, sorry not the greatest in terminal or linux. Overall I would like to wipe the array and start fresh.  Thanks again for all your help!

I'll let our binary friend answer that, as I have no clue. 

As to making the boot iso itself and just wiping the array to start fresh, if that is what you're asking:

I don't know how that ubuntu ISO works.

If you're wanting to wipe the unit, you'll have to make actual boot ISO listed above.
I don't know how to wipe the drives in linux, I'd use a DBAN boot usb in that device, or pull the drives and wipe with windows.  Even just a Western Digital WinDLG quick erase will do the trick.
I did this recently for a TS-WVHL unit conversion.  It used different boot files, but the steps were almost the same.

I wound up using systemrescuecd to boot, and just went into the graphic enviornment:
http://www.system-rescue-cd.org/

Right clicking should allow you to bring up the menu, and bring up the terminal so you can run the commands.  I think I used 2 or 3 terminals, so as not to get confused.

Start here
you have to extract the firmware first.  That article has a link that points to here:
https://buffalonas.miraheze.org/wiki/Extract_Boot_Files_from_Stock_Firmware

Eventually, I did follow the posted steps from here:
https://buffalonas.miraheze.org/wiki/Create_Recovery_Disk_for_Intel-based_Terastation

For me, it was confusing as the main article assumes the user knows how to mount drives, and that the mounts are already made.

The instructions could use a little tweaking about the mounting stuff.  I definitely got lost with that part, as my linux level is novice.

If you don't have your drives mounted, then you need to take parts of this article to get it done.
(I was getting confused between that and the Create Recovery Disk article, open them in two separate tabs and try not to confuse- which tab is which)
https://buffalonas.miraheze.org/wiki/Restoring_Stock_Firmware_without_TFTP

I forget how many mounts I used, I think it was two:
one for where your your buffalo extracted boot files are at, and one for where you are going to make the iso files.
You'll want to see what devices you have, using gparted from the systemrescuecd worked for me.
or run df or lsblk to see what devices are visible to the system.

I went through 3 attempts before it would work,
first, the files would not copy in.

secondly, the system didn't write the entire thing- to where it not boot.  Our binary 4200 friend is right about removing usb drives too early.  The dd command gives you a prompt before the write is finished.  I waited a good couple of mintues.  I also used a usb drive that has an LED on it, to also confirm it was no longer being accessed.

Third time was the charm.

I don't know what else to suggest.  It would be nice if we could get a google drive or some other online share going again, that had all the boot isos and TFTPs like there used to be.  I don't know who maintained that- if it was a buffalo support agent, or if it was some 3rd party user like us.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2020, 09:18:24 AM by Kane88 »

• Debian Wizard
  • Big Bull
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2020, 10:17:56 AM »
9. determine which array is associated with the second partition of each disk (sda2 etc), mide was /dev/md125
lsblk or mdadm -E /dev/sda2 (It looks like mine is /dev/sda2, sdb2, sdc2 etc. Not sure what is needed on this step
The goal of that step is to determine which array contains the devices rootfs since it won't always be md125. It should always be a raid1 array which spans sda2,sdb2,etc which is why we look at what array those partitions are part of to find the rootfs.

take a look at the array with mdadm --detail and see why it is degraded. presumable there is a disk missing or something similar that has caused one of the partitions to be missing from the array.

considering your long term goal sounds like wiping the device anyway there is probably not much risk in just force starting the array and continuing with the password reset if you still want to do that. Otherwise you could just wipe the drives and move forward with re-installing the firmware.

Garlick1

• Calf
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2020, 12:29:34 AM »
Thanks everyone for the help and support! 

Tonight I went ahead a removed the drives and wiped them to start from scratch. Not sure if that was a good idea ... I guess now it's figuring out how to move forward with installing the firmware.

Did I shoot myself in the foot, formatting the array? I guess I need to find out where (if I can) find the original firmware to get that installed.  Once again, thanks for all the help and time!

Sincerely,
RLG
« Last Edit: January 30, 2020, 12:50:36 AM by Garlick1 »

• Debian Wizard
  • Big Bull
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2020, 08:08:35 AM »
You can create a usb boot disk for the stock firmware with this method:

You can then re-install the firmware by enabling some debug options on the firmware updater:
https://buffalonas.miraheze.org/wiki/Enable_Debug_mode

@Kane88 just went though this process and should be able to provide tips if needed.