Author Topic: Question on Wifi Repeaters! Please help!  (Read 412 times)

NicoMalakai

• Calf
Question on Wifi Repeaters! Please help!
« on: January 16, 2020, 03:45:26 am »
Hi guys. So my landlord can remotely check and see which devices are connected to the wifi connection in our apartment. A flatmate who recently vacated could not find a room has temporarily crashed in my room. He needs to connect to the internet but is paranoid that the landlord (the guy is a psycho) would find out. I figured we could get a wifi repeater. From what I have heard a repeater creates a new wifi connection.

If this is true, my landlord should not be able to see devices connected to the repeater right? Should I go ahead and buy one asap?

As3nd0r

• Calf
Re: Question on Wifi Repeaters! Please help!
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2020, 05:58:40 am »
Get a cheap second-hand router somewhere, connect that to the first router as a client (WAN port into main router LAN port), then use it as you would normally use the "normal router" your landlord supplies, ie. ensure all your devices are connected to that router (not the normal main one), so they use it for DHCP, use it as the gateway...

Double NAT could cause some issues depending on what you want to use it for but for "normal" internet you should not have any problems. He won't be able to see any devices connected to the second router.

If the landlord is a bit.. strange.. you could also set the second router as a VPN client and connect it to a VPN, so all traffic from your local second "mini" network goes through the VPN once it hits your secondary router. 

To keep it simple: A repeater will just "extend" the range, you will still see devices connected to the repeater on the main unit, especially easy if they use DHCP.
Aspirat primo Fortuna labori
Me duce tutus eris