Author Topic: NAS Navigator2 fails to find Linkstation.  (Read 9997 times)

TOK2000

• Calf
NAS Navigator2 fails to find Linkstation.
« on: December 10, 2019, 12:20:15 PM »
I have a LinkStation LS-320GL that I can access with it's ip address and login to the admin page, I can ping it of course and I can backup to it.  So why would NAS Navigator2 not discover it on the network?

• Debian Wizard
  • Big Bull
  • There's no problem so bad you cannot make it worse
Re: NAS Navigator2 fails to find Linkstation.
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2019, 12:48:22 AM »
one possibility is that the broadcast packets used by NasNavigator are being blocked by a firewall.

Eastmarch

• 1500 Lb Water Buffalo
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2019, 09:36:27 AM »
NAS Navi uses UDP broadcast traffic on port 22936. UDP broadcast traffic is not generally routed, so it really needs to be on the same logical subnet.

We'd see a lot of this if it were common.
**A single copy of data, even on a RAID array, is NOT a backup! Hard drive failure is not a question of IF, but WHEN! Don't take my word for it, take Google's!**

dblock

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2020, 01:32:31 PM »
I have the same issue with my LS220 LinkStation. I've tried three different macs, using the latest  version of NAS Navigator from the App Store (Version 3.00 (3.00.3)), with an eero network. I've tried from machines that are connected wirelessly, and wired, and the app can't find the device, but I can get to the internal web pages by entering the IP in my browser.

• Debian Wizard
  • Big Bull
  • There's no problem so bad you cannot make it worse
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2020, 02:39:36 PM »
NAS Navi uses UDP broadcast traffic on port 22936. UDP broadcast traffic is not generally routed, so it really needs to be on the same logical subnet.

We'd see a lot of this if it were common.

The traffic between NasNavigator and the device happens using UDP broadcast packets which among other things allows the devices to find each other on the network without first knowing each other's IP. These packets don't traverse subnet boundaries but that usually isn't an issue since most home networks only have one subnet. It's possible the "mesh network" eerio uses breaks this somehow though that also seems unlikely since many consumer devices work more or less the same way. Likewise, they could be blocked by a firewall on your MAC but that would also be unusual.

A quick search shows a thread for a similar problem, it looks like they do restrict udp broadcast to some degree:
https://www.reddit.com/r/eero/comments/du4woc/a_weird_one_losing_osc_udp_broadcast_messages/

You could try plugging your Mac into the same switch/device as the linkstation and see if that allows it to work.

dblock

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2020, 05:24:25 PM »
That solved it! I opened the UDP port for the LS220 on the EERO, and now NAS Navigator finds it. Thanks!