Author Topic: Buffalo vs. Drobo  (Read 1393 times)

scottevestceo

• Calf
Buffalo vs. Drobo
« on: December 27, 2019, 11:20:09 AM »
I own an older Buffalo, Model TS-XE12TL/R5. I have had minor issues with it over the years, namely drives failing. My IT people have recommended that I simply replace the entire unit for a Drobo as they think the quality of the Buffalo is not nearly as good as the Drobo. I think the issue is more likely the drives and not the Buffalo. I primarily use this to store my photos and videos. I do find it somewhat slow, but again think this may be more the drives than the Buffalo.

So my question is this: should I upgrade to a newer Buffalo and/or Drobo or just simply buy some new drives and call it a day?

Is the speed a result of the OS in the unit or the drives themselves.

Any help is appreciated as I'd rather not spend $$$ on a new unit when all I need is some new drives.

• Debian Wizard
  • Big Bull
  • There's no problem so bad you cannot make it worse
Re: Buffalo vs. Drobo
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2019, 12:45:23 PM »
Depends on your needs/budget.

The TS-XEL was a “budget” model Terastation when it came out and is pretty old at this point. If you’re willing to spend the money newer devices will be much more powerful. Likewise, the newest firmware for the TS-XEL is pretty old at this point where a new device will have more modern features.

On the other hand if you don’t need much performance and/or don’t want to spend money you should be able to get it working again by removing/replacing any failing drives and reinstalling the firmware.

You can also replace the stock firmware with the latest version of Debian linux which allows you to install more modern software than the stock firmware provides. You can find information and installer files here:
https://github.com/1000001101000/Debian_on_Buffalo

scottevestceo

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2019, 01:55:47 PM »
Thanks. So to confirm, will upgrading the OS make things much or slightly faster or more reliable, or should i replace all drives or just go Drobo?

Depends on your needs/budget.

The TS-XEL was a “budget” model Terastation when it came out and is pretty old at this point. If you’re willing to spend the money newer devices will be much more powerful. Likewise, the newest firmware for the TS-XEL is pretty old at this point where a new device will have more modern features.

On the other hand if you don’t need much performance and/or don’t want to spend money you should be able to get it working again by removing/replacing any failing drives and reinstalling the firmware.

You can also replace the stock firmware with the latest version of Debian linux which allows you to install more modern software than the stock firmware provides. You can find information and installer files here:
https://github.com/1000001101000/Debian_on_Buffalo

• Debian Wizard
  • Big Bull
  • There's no problem so bad you cannot make it worse
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2019, 02:54:56 PM »
It really depends on why it is getting slow/unreliable in the first place. It may be because of failing drive(s). Replacing the drives will likely improve things. Getting a newer device and new drives would be even faster but costs $$

I have no opinions about drobo either way.