Author Topic: Linkstation not recognizing one of my new USB sata drive  (Read 4677 times)

damonrand

• Calf
Linkstation not recognizing one of my new USB sata drive
« on: November 11, 2008, 01:34:54 AM »

Hi, 

I've been happily running a LS-250GL for a while now. I've been doing scheduled back ups to a small USB IDE drive enclosure for some time with no problems. I've just bought a new USB hotswap docking bay and a maxtor drive for backups. The new USB drive appears in XP as a "USB mass storage device" and "Generic External USB Device".

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=222999

But the linkstation just won't see it at all. It says usb port disconnected. I've tried both USB ports, I've upgraded to firmware 1.11, restarted the linkstation several times. No luck. My old IDE enclosure still shows up now trouble.

Any ideas why this combo won't work? Is it the drive or the enclosure causing problems? If I buy a different model of enclosure will it still not work? If I upgrade my linkstation to a new LS mini will it recognize this enclosure?

Regards,

Damon. 

Paul

• Big Bull
Re: Linkstation not recognizing one of my new USB sata drive
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2008, 11:14:13 AM »
what format is the drive in, for the NAS to see the drive it has to be in Fat32 or ext3 or XFS

damonrand

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2008, 01:51:49 AM »

Hi, 

Thanks for the reply. The drive is formatted FAT32. But the linkstation doesn't get that far. It seems to not recognize the USB controller in the drive enclosure rather than having a problem with the SATA drive itself. So when I go into Disk Management > USB settings it says "USB disk 1" is "Disconnected".

Damon. 

Paul

• Big Bull
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2008, 09:24:35 AM »

Is the drive USB only or does it have external power as well?

also try to reboot the LS with the drive attached. 

damonrand

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2008, 11:10:21 AM »

Thanks for the tips. I rebooted the LS with the drive attached but it didn't help. Its an external powered USB drive.

Also, some further information. I bought a second SATA enclosure. Completely different make and model. Same problem. But I have now noticed that the enclosures are being recognized. If I look on "System status" > "USB details" I see the two enclosures appear and disappear when I plug/unplug them.

USB class > Manufacturer >  Device Name > USB 2.0/2.1

========================================== 

Storage > Generic > External > USB 2.0

Storage > JMicron > USB to ATA/ATAPI Bridge  > USB 2.0

However, as before the "USB Disk 1/2" says disk is "Disconnected"

Any more thoughts? It looks like it should work..

Damon.