Author Topic: NAS Navigator2 ver 3.0 on MAC  (Read 3066 times)

_Heikki

• Calf
NAS Navigator2 ver 3.0 on MAC
« on: November 20, 2019, 06:31:57 AM »
One of the main functions of NAS Navigator2 software is to switch on the NAS device within the LAN if the power switch of the NAS device in "Auto" position whenever any computer within the same LAN starts that has NAS Navigator2 installed. Unfortunately it seems that NAS Navigator2 ver 3.0 on my MAC fails to accomplish this.
If the NAS device (in my case Buffalo Linkstation LS-WV4.0TL) is in power-off state and my MACBook Pro (MacOS Mojave 10.14.6) is the first computer to start in my home network then the NAS device never starts regardless of the "Auto" position of the power switch. Only if NAS device is already switched on (possibly some Windows machine with NAS Navigator2 ver 2.99 may have launched it) then before the NAS Navigator2 ver 3.0 on my MAC opens there is a 'Do you want the application "NasNavigator2.app" to accept incoming network connections' enquiry. If you click the "Allow" button only then NAS Navigator2 on my MAC opens the connection to the NAS device.
If instead I have the NAS Navigator2 ver 2.99 on my MAC there is no such an enquiry and also the NAS device switches on pretty soon even if my MAC is the only computer running within the LAN.

EDIT: Further it seems that NAS Navigator2 ver 3.0 on MAC is not able to hold the NAS device switched on once the last Windows machine with NAS Navigator2 ver 2.99 in LAN has switched off.
These NAS Navigator2 ver 3.0 on MAC malfunctions quite completely prevent upgrading to 64-bit macOS Catalina.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2019, 02:57:35 PM by _Heikki »

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
Re: NAS Navigator2 ver 3.0 on MAC
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2019, 08:54:09 AM »
The WOL feature of the NN in the OSX version has been removed altogether as the application is designed for only the recent NAS devices which do not have the auto power on feature.

Furthermore, the unit you have wouldn't be supported on 10.15 as 1) it's a number of years old and discontinued and 2) 10.15 doesn't support SMB1 anymore.
PM me for TFTP / Boot Images / Recovery files  LSRecovery.exe file.
Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!

_Heikki

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2019, 11:50:00 AM »
Hello davo, thanks for your reply!

Yes, my Linkstation is quite old already, but it is still fully functional, after I replaced both hard drives in it.

Sooner or later I have to invest into a new NAS device. Once you seem to be an expert, may I ask:
- You say that the new NAS devices do not have power up feature. Do you mean that those devices have to stay powered up all the time? For a home user that's not nice at all, waste of energy and unnecessary noise.
- At the moment I have both Windows and Mac computers in my LAN. It must be possible to operate my new NAS device from both environments?

Giebler

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2020, 10:08:58 AM »
I just ran into the same situation.  For years, I've been auto-starting my network drives from my Mac and now you've removed the feature without even a warning?  Guess I'll be looking elsewhere for my next Network drive if you won't support your existing products.  I've always recommended Buffalo to my associates - guess that's going to change.

_Heikki

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2020, 12:29:17 PM »
We all would like to hear the explanation from Buffalo why the auto power mode function has been removed from current NAS devices.