Author Topic: Connecting to Linkstation is slow  (Read 1622 times)

Kiiver Hovstad

• Calf
Connecting to Linkstation is slow
« on: September 26, 2019, 05:28:56 AM »
We have a Linkstation WVL as a file server in our intranet and some Windows 10 clients. We've had it some 4 years, working without bigger problems. There's no big problem now either, but lately it has started to annoy us that in the morning (or after some idle time), when you log in and try to access the shared folder, it takes some 15 seconds (or even longer for some clients) before you can see the contents.
We access the share via a shortcut on desktop.
I've been googling for solutions, but I've only found slow transfer cases. In our network, transfer speed is normal after the connection is established, never any problems with that. I have the latest Windows 10 v1903.
When I go to Network Neighborhood and open a share on any Windows computer, it opens immediately.
Any ideas, what could cause the slow initialization on Linkstation?

• Debian Wizard
  • Big Bull
  • There's no problem so bad you cannot make it worse
Re: Connecting to Linkstation is slow
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2019, 08:49:55 AM »
It might be hard to narrow down conclusively, and perhaps others will have better advice...

If I had a file server that had worked consistently with moderate use for 4+ years suddenly start slowing down my first guess would be that the drive(s) might be starting to fail. This can manifest in a number of ways and can be hard to diagnose without looking at the S.M.A.R.T. data for the drives.

I'd probably also try re-booting the thing in case it's just got a process taking up all the memory or something.

Kiiver Hovstad

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2019, 02:25:01 PM »
Thank You, 1010, for Your quick answer.
The overall performance is no problem at all. It is the connection establishment after logon that takes some time. Once you're in, the transfer speed is perfectly good.

• Debian Wizard
  • Big Bull
  • There's no problem so bad you cannot make it worse
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2019, 03:35:38 PM »
rebooting definitely still worth a try for reasons mentioned earlier.

I can think of a few things but the fact that the behavior started recently makes me doubt some of them. For instance if the disks were spinning down when idle I'd expect the first read to take a couple extra seconds but not 15 and I doubt that would start suddenly.

I could imagine that when the device is idle it may swap out the code needed to handle incoming smb connections or other services and that read issues when it tries to re-load them could still fit into the disk failing hypothesis. I don't know how likely that is but disks end up being the cause of all sorts of issues.

I've never connected to one from windows much less the current version of windows so I don't if there's something from that side for you to look into, but maybe someone else will.

Kiiver Hovstad

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2019, 06:29:45 AM »
It's getting worse. Initialization time is now even longer and sometimes it also prompts for password.  I have restarted the thing, but not much help, of course.