Author Topic: Unable to access LS220DE-EM75I  (Read 2311 times)

timesnaps

• Calf
Unable to access LS220DE-EM75I
« on: November 06, 2019, 06:25:42 AM »
Had the unit running with only one disk in the past, but have been away for nearly a year. Now that I am back, it is still running but unaccessible through NAS Navigator (v.2.99). There is no error code, and the only message I have is this:

"The unit is in emergency mode. Update the firmware or contact technical support"

Since I cannot access the unit, I cannot update the firmware, let alone establish what version of firmware it is currently running (bought in 2018). On the front of the unit, there are two lights (lower red, upper white), both solid - not flashing.

Taking out the disk makes no difference. I even formatted the disk (4TB Seagate) and still nothing

Whats up with this? How can I regain control of it?
« Last Edit: November 07, 2019, 02:22:11 PM by timesnaps »

• Debian Wizard
  • Big Bull
  • There's no problem so bad you cannot make it worse
Re: Unable to access LS220DE-EM75I
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2019, 02:49:39 PM »
lsupdater can be used to attempt to update/reinstall the firmware if the device is in EM mode.

timesnaps

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2019, 04:33:39 PM »
lsupdater can be used to attempt to update/reinstall the firmware if the device is in EM mode.

Thanks, would you mind to elaborate exactly what I would need to do please (A quick search for "lsupdater" resulted in nothing here)

UPDATE: Ok, I think you referring to the Windows EXE file that seems to be used to update the firmware. I am on Apple Mac, but I managed to find the relevant Mac Updater (to v.1.70 and 1.72). However when I run the update app, I get the following error message:

"No partition detected. It may be necessary to format the target's drive"

Well, I by now dont even mind to format the drive, but how?! I dont get any option or access to do so
« Last Edit: November 07, 2019, 04:54:27 PM by timesnaps »

• Debian Wizard
  • Big Bull
  • There's no problem so bad you cannot make it worse
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2019, 08:42:14 AM »
This post describes the process from start to finish of getting running starting with blank drives:
http://forums.buffalotech.com/index.php?topic=30419.0

Since you're already in EM mode you can skip some of the early steps. The main thing is to enable debug mode of lsupdater to enable repartition/reformatting. Hopefully that works the same on a Mac.

Some of the two bay devices won't install the firmware with only one drive, if you find you still get stuck after using the debug options that might be why.