Author Topic: Reinstalling to an out-of warranty NAS with blank drives  (Read 75996 times)

apple2k

• Calf
Re: Reinstalling to an out-of warranty NAS with blank drives
« Reply #105 on: February 19, 2023, 02:30:08 PM »
A bit more detail regarding my attempt to reloading firmware on to my TS-QVH12TL/R6 NAS:

Since there was that drive noise in bay 2 of the NAS, I replace that drive with a 640gb spare drive as I did not have a spare 1tb drive.I have and upon hitting the reset button and the On/Off button, the POST error did not appear or the ERROR light being lit.  I don't know if there is a requirement that all the drives need to be the same size or not.

I have also read somewhere on the forums that says I need to remove all partitions when trying to reinstalling drives / firmware..

I have also tried to put a laptop, separate router (not attached to internet), and the NAS all on the same subnet (192.168.11.x) and the NAS Navigator2 was unable to find the NAS.

People in the know, please chime in with answers to my questions and if all possible provide me with a USB recovery / initialized flash drive (or ISO image) to have it boot off USB..  I can at least get to the point to have the NAS boot up and show up in NAS Navigator2 and assign it an IP address in the same subnet as my home LAN.

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
« Reply #106 on: February 20, 2023, 03:09:15 AM »
If you can already get it visible in the NAS Navigator then it's probably in emergency mode in which case you just reinstall the firmware. You don't need the boot image if this is the case.
PM me for TFTP / Boot Images / Recovery files  LSRecovery.exe file.
Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!

• Debian Wizard
  • Big Bull
  • There's no problem so bad you cannot make it worse
« Reply #107 on: February 20, 2023, 09:56:32 AM »
The links to everything you need are at the beginning of this thread/post.

Specifically, this procedure to make a recovery disk:
https://buffalonas.miraheze.org/wiki/Create_Recovery_Disk_for_Intel-based_Terastation

and this process to perform a new firmware install:
https://buffalonas.miraheze.org/wiki/Restoring_Stock_Firmware_without_TFTP

Eastmarch

• 1500 Lb Water Buffalo
  • Administrator
« Reply #108 on: April 26, 2023, 05:41:59 PM »
It's nice that the latest units have this all just built in. It's a testament to the solidity of the units that we still have people wanting to use 10 year old boxes, but I'd bet you can find a TS3000 Chassis pretty cheap and those just make you push a button, and those are only 8 years old or so :)
**A single copy of data, even on a RAID array, is NOT a backup! Hard drive failure is not a question of IF, but WHEN! Don't take my word for it, take Google's!**

Kev

• Calf
« Reply #109 on: October 06, 2023, 08:27:23 AM »
I have managed to successfully add 2x 8TB Drives to my WXL LS420 R1.

It required me taking a partition image (the ~900m boot partition) of one of my old 2TB drives - Restoring this to one new 8TB drive. (I used AOEMI)

Adding both 8TB disks to the unit, booting to EM, running luspdater and flashing 1.75. allowing the firmware to do something then... Flashing Red LED (6x).
I then connected my the same 8TB drive to my laptop again, destroyed all partitions and restored the boot image off the 2TB once again.

I then booted the unit and it successfully rebuilt the boot and storage partitions - It was restored to defaults - Japanese console - I then wiped and rebuilt a raid1 array - Happy (long) days!
Thanks for all the notes documented on this!