Author Topic: Link Station Live Not Accessible After Power Outage  (Read 7935 times)

garonson

• Calf
Link Station Live Not Accessible After Power Outage
« on: October 20, 2009, 06:10:05 PM »

Yesterday after a power outage I turned the Link Station Live back on and after about 5 minutes the red error light on the front started beeping and it turned off.  I tried several times with the same result. Today i thought i'd give it one more try and now it stays on w/o an error, however, i can't browse it either through the web interface or on my wireless lan. I'm using a linksys 4 port wireless router. i checked the dhcp client table on the linksys and there is an ip address listed for the link station, however when i try to browse it it can't find it. i've pinged it with these results:

64 bytes from 192.168.1.102: icmp_seq=0 ttl=64 time=1.9 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.1.102: icmp_seq=1 ttl=64 time=0.9 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.1.102: icmp_seq=2 ttl=64 time=0.9 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.1.102: icmp_seq=3 ttl=64 time=0.9 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.1.102: icmp_seq=4 ttl=64 time=1.0 ms
--- 192.168.1.102 ping statistics ---
5 packets transmitted, 5 packets received, 0% packet loss
round-trip min/avg/max = 0.9/1.1/1.9 ms

Any help is appreciated

PCPiranha

• Big Bull
Re: Link Station Live Not Accessible After Power Outage
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2009, 06:24:13 PM »

Does it show up in the NASNAVI?  If so what does it say for the hostname and firmware version?

garonson

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2009, 07:19:55 PM »

I don't know what the  NASNAVI is. Just to clarify, i can't access it at all. not using it's name or ip address either locally or over the internet.

PCPiranha

• Big Bull
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2009, 07:31:24 PM »

I understand that, the NASNAVI is a software program that was on a CD that was packaged with the unit.  It finds the unit on the network as long as the unit actually boots (which it sounds like yours is).  It is a key program for troubleshooting/finding the IP of these units.

You can also download it off of our website under the downloads section.

garonson

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2009, 06:24:52 AM »

oh i vaguely recall now, and also think i remember it's not mac os compatible. is that correct?

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2009, 07:39:01 AM »

garonson wrote:

oh i vaguely recall now, and also think i remember it's not mac os compatible. is that correct?

It is actually, just download the nas navigator for mac from the Buffalo site.

PM me for TFTP / Boot Images / Recovery files  LSRecovery.exe file.
Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!

garonson

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2009, 02:54:35 PM »

i downloaded, installed and ran nasnavi for mac. open is grayed out. when i click on i'm here and put in the password the message i get is Alert, Failed to I'm here. it has an ip address 192.168.1.1022 and a subnet mask 255.255.255.0 the workgroup is unknown and there is a? next to the name HG-GHGL-EMA74

garonson

• Calf
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2009, 02:56:56 PM »

i have backed the data up to a USB drive attached to the linkstation. however, when i attached the drive directly to my computer  it complained that it was not a readable device.

JoshC

• Big Bull
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2009, 10:19:51 PM »

The unit is in Em mode, you should just be able to flash the firmware and get it back up and running.

garonson

• Calf
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2009, 06:02:22 AM »

can you tell me how to do that?

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2009, 06:11:26 AM »

Which linkstaiton do you have? Depending on the model number the firmware update can only be done from a windows PC. i i need the exact model number to verify the firmware reinstallation instructions.

PM me for TFTP / Boot Images / Recovery files  LSRecovery.exe file.
Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!

garonson

• Calf
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2009, 06:23:11 AM »

HS-DH320GL

S/N 19883020412489

i have parallels on my mac so i can use windows xp

PCPiranha

• Big Bull
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2009, 09:52:22 AM »

Just go to our website, go to support > downloads.  Select your buffalo product by model number and download the latest firmware (ver. 2.11 for you).  Make sure you save the program to your computers harddrive.  Once it is downloaded right click on the file and go to extract all.  Make sure the computer isn't connected wirelessly and that you have all of the firewalls on this computer disabled.

You can then just open the firmware folder, double click on the LSUpdater.exe programand then just click update.

Edit:  Im not sure if it will work with paralles.  You may just want to use a PC.

garonson

• Calf
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2009, 10:15:50 AM »

please clarify what you mean by  make sure your pc isn't connected wirelessly. do you mean attach the link station directly to the lan connection on my mac? i don't have a pc i only have parallels. i've tried everything you've suggested including attaching the linkstation directly to my machine and have disabled all firewall/virus. it doesn't work.

apaschou

• Calf
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2009, 03:21:25 PM »

Hi,

I had similar problem 2 weeks ago and as I also have a mac, I can share my experience... I have one dedicated partition for windows (using boot camp), but I can also start it in emulation (I am using VMware). It effectively seems that the search of the link station performed by the firmware updater is NOT WORKING when running windows through VMWare. It never finds the station. The problem is the same when using Buffalo NAS navigator in emulation: no disc is found.

If I start natively on the same partition (therefore, everything should be the same, except the absence of the emulation layer), it finds the station correctly.

Even when this is working, I needed to pay attention to 2 things:

1) During the first attempt to flash the firmware, it seems that the station changed its IP address in the last step and therefore the final procedure failed (however, I think that everything was flashed before this final procedure).

2) In case of such failure, If you want to reperform the upgrade, you need to change the "lsupdater.ini" file, setting teh "VersionCheck" parameter to 0 instead of 1...

3) Finally, after firmware reflash, the interface was in japanese... you have to set in in English. There is a description how to do that in this forum in the FAQ if I am not wrong.

I think it is really time for Buffalo to release a OS X version of the firmware updater... As a firmware updater doesn't require much UI, if the language used to code the firmware updater on PC is portable, this should be very difficult to produce a OS X version.

Good luck!