Author Topic: ESX VMWare on NAS (NFS)  (Read 13243 times)

erwinvf

• Calf
ESX VMWare on NAS (NFS)
« on: October 16, 2009, 08:10:29 AM »

We have a TS-WX2.0TL in Test for the Projects VMWARE on NAS

I can map the NAS Storage from Buffalo in ESX 4.0, but the folder is Empty in the ESX DataBowser.

The datas ( VMWARE Files ) are on the Share, i can see in the FileBrowser from Windows.

I Can copy and delete Files on the NFS Share.

Only under ESX I can see no files.

Have any body a idea?

Thanks

Colin137

• Big Bull
Re: ESX VMWare on NAS (NFS)
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2009, 11:31:55 AM »

We've seen this before. NFS on the TS III/Duo works fine outside of VMware, and NFS on the TS Pro II works with VMware, but NFS on the TS III/Duo does not appear to work right with VMware.

The oddest part is that you can copy files through the vSphere client to the NFS share, and if you know the exact path of a file on the share, you can access it through the ESX service console CLI (for example /vmfs/volumes/<name of datastore>/filename.txt ), but "ls /vmfs/volumes/<name of datastore>" gives the message "ls: reading directory /vmfs/volumes/TS_III_NFS/: Function not implemented".

I've been testing this, and can't really figure it out. I'm trying to get as much info as possible to send to my developers, so if you come up with anything or have any additional information, please let me know.

erwinvf

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2009, 05:13:16 AM »

We have the follow installation:

1 Lan Interface is connected to a Public LAN 192.168.20.0/24

1 Lan Interface is connected direct zu a Interface from ESX Server 10.10.10.x

Firmware Version on NAS is 1.06

On Nase we have a NFS Share on it are the VMWare Guest System

Configuration:

- Add Share in NFS Menu from Buffalo ( /mnt/array1/VD-VMware )

- Add the IP Address from NFS Clinet ( IP From ESX Interface)

We can connect the Share from a Workstation and see all Files (CIFS)

ON ESX 4.0

We can add the NFS Phad "/mnt/array1/VD-VMware" as Datastore

The Store is connected, but in the Datastore Browser from ESX is empty.

We can create a folder in the Browese, after we can see the folder on Buffalo, but not in de Databrowser.

We have no Error Message.

Do you need more Informations?

If yes, then please give me a Mail address an i will send you Printscreen.

Thanks

ihaveanevilplan

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2009, 04:44:26 PM »

We are facing the exact same issue as well.

We have installed a 4GB TS-RXL Terastation III (**bleep** and are able to mount an NFS datastore from ESXi but are unable to read any files\folders from it.  We can "see" the files by browsing to the shared NFS folder from a workstation but ESXi does not see them.

We would love to be able to use the NAS as useful datastore on our ESXi system, one of the main reasons why purchased it in the first place,

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

erwinvf

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2009, 12:24:45 AM »

do you have an solution for this problem?

Can Buffalo not be used for such a solution?

Please let me know.

Colin137

• Big Bull
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2009, 03:11:55 PM »

erwinvf,

At the moment, the Terastation III appears unsuitable for ESX because of this issue with NFS. The Terastation Pro II works fine with ESX over NFS.

We are investigating the problem with the TS III and working towards a fix.

Colin137

• Big Bull
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2009, 07:13:48 PM »

I just confirmed that firmware 1.10 fixes the NFS issue with ESX. I tested it with ESX 4, and was able to view the contents of the NFS mount from the datastore browser. If the update does not fix it for you, reset the device to defaults with the web interface. System->Restore/Format, then click the Restore Terastation button.

slaikka

• Calf
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2009, 02:44:37 PM »

Hi,

The new firmware did the trick for esxi3.5. esxi4 lists folders but not folder contents using data store browser. The ssh cli shows everything ok.  Opening a folder with datastore browser gives these errors in /var/log/messages:

WARNING: Tcpip_Socket: 3342: Bad RPC fragment marker from: terastation ip

Terastaion is a XL13A, firmware 1.10, esxi 4.0 is build  208167.

I have replaced the network switch and tried another network adapter in the esxi box. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Sami 

slaikka

• Calf
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2010, 02:42:04 PM »

Hi,

I installed firmware 1.20 and did a factory reset. Under NFS options i found kernel mode.

Finally NFS mounts without problems or errors in logs. Datastore browser works and ghettoVCB script  with terastation as target runs without problems. Both esxi3.5 and esxi4.0 works.

Performance is really slow but that is expected.

JoshC

• Big Bull
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2010, 01:15:36 AM »

Thanks for the Update.  Please let us know of further findings.

AlexD1979

• Calf
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2010, 02:28:30 AM »

Hello, I have a similar problem with our ESXi 4.0 Build 208167 and a TeraStation III TS-RX6.0TL/R5-EU Firmware 1.10.

If a attach a NFS mount to the server, everything seems to be fine.

In the datastore browser I can see the folders (VMs) (copied to this NAS or original created from this VMWare Server) but I cannot get into the folders... I see a never ending process bar until an error occour...

Is there are any new Firmware or Bugfix for this problem?

Colin137

• Big Bull
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2010, 02:34:39 PM »

AlexD1979,

As slaikka noted, firmware 1.20 adds a kernel mode option for NFS that drastically improves compatibility with ESX/ESXi. From the release notes:

[NFS]- Allowed to configure shared NFS area to VMWare ESX/ESXi hard disk area. NFS operating mode can be set to kernel mode.

So, the solution is to update to 1.20 firmware, and reset the device to defaults from System->Restore/Format.

[NFS]
- Allowed to configure shared NFS area to VMWare ESX/ESXi hard disk area. NFS operating mode can be
  set to kernel mode.

AlexD1979

• Calf
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2010, 04:19:41 AM »

Hello,

But I found no official Firmware update to 1.20 (I see only 1.10) in download section f Buffalo website. It is an "inofficial" firmware update? Remember we have a Terastation TS-RX.

Greetings

Alexander Diedler

Colin137

• Big Bull
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2010, 12:25:00 PM »

1.20 is available for the TS III, posted earlier this month. It appears that the EU site does not have 1.20 for the TS III Rackmount. Please contact EU support and ask them to post 1.20 for the TS-RX. I'll forward a message to them through my channels as well.