Author Topic: LS-WVL806 Cannot Access At All  (Read 3410 times)

Ringfinger

• El Toro
LS-WVL806 Cannot Access At All
« on: October 18, 2019, 07:23:50 PM »
So, the NAS has direct ethernet connection to my router. I open my router IP and see that the NAS is connected indeed and sees it. I type in the NAS IP and it can't connect to it directly. Rebooted both devices, still no access but again, my router shows it is connected and on top of that the NAS has a static IP I assigned to it.

CMD prompt. I get this:

Ping statistics for xxxxxxxx
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 3ms, Maximum = 4ms, Average = 3ms

I'm starting to freak out now. There are 2 drives in there, mirror of each other, both replaced withing the past year. It's not possible that both died t the same time?

We had a power blip yesterday and that is all I can think of. But if it fried both drives I am screwed!

I get no error code or lights flashing on the NAS. When unpower/rest/repower up, I hear a little movement of the disks/reading noise so to speak just minimally, not noisy, barely anything. That is my concern. Then it stops and ll I hear is the NAS fan. Disks are not hot. I depowered and will let it sit overnight. My feeling is like both drives literally the drive motor fried, both at the same time. However, there is no blinking lights on the NAS, strange noises, etc.

What is going on?

• Debian Wizard
  • Big Bull
  • There's no problem so bad you cannot make it worse
Re: LS-WVL806 Cannot Access At All
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2019, 11:21:44 AM »
the lack of leds is odd, or at least any situation where the leds didn't come on I wouldn’t expect the network to work.

two things to try:
check nas navigator or lsupdater and see if discovers the device, if it’s in EM mode it should tell you that.

you can also try booting it without drives, you should get the appropriate led codes for missing drives.

some of this sounds like it could be the power adapter.

Ringfinger

• El Toro
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2019, 07:59:11 AM »
Okay, I meant to say the green LED flashes as it starts up but stays solid green once started.  No error codes flashing or other LED's flashing which concerns me.  I could never get navigator to work so I only use the ip address to access and change settings.

It is powering up I know that but the drives seems not to be having much activity as they normally do.

As3nd0r

• Tatanka
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2019, 09:30:02 AM »
Could be in emergency mode. Would explain why you can ping but not access the settings page. Check with nas navigator or use the firmware updater - if the host name includes a EM the unit is in emergency mode. Just reinstall the firmware in this case
Aspirat primo Fortuna labori
Me duce tutus eris

• Debian Wizard
  • Big Bull
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2019, 09:37:51 AM »
That does sound like EM mode in that case.

Ringfinger

• El Toro
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2019, 10:50:35 AM »
How can I install the firmware if I do not have NAS installed and could never get it running.  Is there a way?

• Debian Wizard
  • Big Bull
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2019, 12:03:52 PM »
Check out the post they have pinned to the top of the storage board that covers that:
https://forums.buffalotech.com/index.php?topic=30419.0

Ringfinger

• El Toro
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2019, 12:44:38 PM »
I read that and I do not want to format or erase my disks as they have all the data on them.  That is my concern.

So, maybe I should try to install NAS navigator and install from there?

If not, can it be installed from the firmware installer?  Also, I did not see specific firmware for the LS-WVL806, do I use the LS-WVL/E?

• Debian Wizard
  • Big Bull
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2019, 01:16:20 PM »
if I do not have NAS installed and could never get it running

I took this to mean you did not have data on it.

Is this a device that used to work or are you trying to use drives that have data on them form somewhere else?

Ringfinger

• El Toro
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2019, 01:46:29 PM »
This is my personal NAS at home.  The NAS stopped working last week.  It worked up until late last week.  I had completed a scan last week on both drives with no issues.  They were working fine then on Thursday the NAS stopped working with symptoms I have given. 

Sorry, I meant I tried in the past to install NAS navigator but it never worked for me so I always used the IP address typed into the browser as my interface for settings and whatnot.  Seems however that I don't need it (navigator) to install the firmware installer/updater?  I have a lot of data on these drives.

Ringfinger

• El Toro
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2019, 06:42:03 PM »
Okay, Navigator worked and it is in emergency mode.  But, when I download the formware installer, it can't find the drive.  So now how do I install the firmware?

As3nd0r

• Tatanka
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2019, 12:57:47 AM »
Check that it is the correct firmware installer for this model and verify that no antivirus or firewall is blocking it
Aspirat primo Fortuna labori
Me duce tutus eris

Ringfinger

• El Toro
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2019, 08:30:51 AM »
After hitting refresh about 50 times it found it.  Always have had an issue with any Buffalo software finding the NAS from day 1.  Anyway, installed 1.74 and it is fine like nothing ever happened.  Thanks to all for getting me in the direction of looking for it being in EM.  Now I need to get a small UPS for it so if this double power blip ever happens again it wont make the NAS go haywire!

Coys55

• Calf
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2019, 09:23:24 AM »
After hitting refresh about 50 times it found it.  Always have had an issue with any Buffalo software finding the NAS from day 1.  Anyway, installed 1.74 and it is fine like nothing ever happened.  Thanks to all for getting me in the direction of looking for it being in EM.  Now I need to get a small UPS for it so if this double power blip ever happens again it wont make the NAS go haywire!

The first thing you should do now is to make a backup, or preferably two. Yes even before getting a UPS, which is way down the list. Any number of things could cause the NAS to go haywire and lose your data, which you appear to be pretty attached to.

Disk mirroring is NOT a backup; it's still a single point of failure, which you appear to have avoided this time, more by luck than judgement.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2019, 09:28:31 AM by Coys55 »

• Debian Wizard
  • Big Bull
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2019, 09:38:14 AM »
Good to hear that it's working.

I've never had trouble with lsupdater finding a device, Though I've always been connected to the same switch as the device via Ethernet. I could see it being less reliable over wifi or other configurations.

You should probably run diagnostics on those drives to make sure this firmware corruption isn't the first sign of a bigger problem.