Author Topic: terastation pro won;t boot into EM mode, gives E04  (Read 14991 times)

fintanc

• Calf
terastation pro won;t boot into EM mode, gives E04
« on: November 09, 2008, 01:45:37 PM »

Hi,

during a raid 5 build, my terastation pro crashed with 4 new disks inside. Now when I try to boot into EM mode I get as far as "System EM Mod: Booting" and it just hangs at that point.

When trying to boot normally, I get either the "System error E00 MPU no responce" message, or the E04 Kernel error.

This all meas that I can't connect the box to a pc to re-flash it or force a firmware update.

What should I try next, or is the box dead?

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
Re: terastation pro won;t boot into EM mode, gives E04
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2008, 03:26:16 AM »
   e04 usually indicates one of the HDD has failed, booting into EM mode will not work. Power down the unit, remove drive 1 and power it up (you will get a message saying that one of the HDD is missing) however if it boots up then you know its a problem with that individual HDD. If you still get the e04 error then power down the TS, put back in HDD1 and remove HDD2 and repeat the process. Do this with all 4 HDD to see where the problem lies.
PM me for TFTP / Boot Images / Recovery files  LSRecovery.exe file.
Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!

fintanc

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2008, 06:16:27 AM »
   Thanks. As per the other thread, I'll try to check the disks. If I do identify which one is failing, whats the best remedy for that? Formatting that specific drive on another PC should allow me to reuse it in the terastation, right?

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2008, 07:34:19 AM »
   Basically if you do find the problem disk then try and format it with a PC to NTFS, if it can be formatted then its the controller in the TS. If the disk cannot be formatted or reports bad sectors then replace the disk.
PM me for TFTP / Boot Images / Recovery files  LSRecovery.exe file.
Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!

fintanc

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2008, 02:08:40 PM »

Hmmm, seems I have a faulty disk. However I did format it, but the TS still reports it as a faulty disk, in that specific drive bay.

what exactly should I format it as? I just did a format as ntfs and made sure there were no partitions on there.

fintanc

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2008, 02:21:28 PM »
   actually scrap that, I managed to force a firmware update, then logged in and told it to rebuild the array. Its doing that now, so we'll see what happens  :smileyindifferent:

Matt_M

• Buffalo
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2008, 03:48:58 PM »
If it comes back the same way then it's possible something is going on with the HDD controller on the unit itself, in which case if you contact your local tech support they should be able to create a warranty replacement for you.

fintanc

• Calf
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2008, 04:24:30 PM »

Right now I have "operation mode I12 Degrade mode", and no network connection. Not sure whether to reboot the thing now or wait and see - theres no hard disk activity and the fan isn't running.

Before this it was rebuilding the array.  any way of knowing if its finished or not?

Paul

• Big Bull
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2008, 10:51:52 AM »
Reboot it and see if you can restructure the array again, if not replace the HD

fintanc

• Calf
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2008, 11:38:25 AM »

fixed it.  I ended up taking out all 4 drives, deleting all the partitions on each, poping them back in and then doing a tfpt boot. Now we are back up and running :-)

Davo et al, thanks for your help

F

fintanc

• Calf
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2008, 04:19:33 PM »

Bloody hell, its died again. I just spent 2 hours setting up shares and permissions, everything working perfectly fine, and all of a sudden I end up with a E04, and then a E00.

This box is a piece of **bleep**.

Paul

• Big Bull
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2008, 10:06:19 AM »
If the unit is still under warranty I would RMA it, This is not normal behavior for this unit. 

fintanc

• Calf
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2008, 10:50:43 AM »

Yup,thats the plan. But I don't know who is the local supplier - do you know who it is for Ireland? Or is there a list somewhere?