Author Topic: Wake up LS Pro Duo through VPN  (Read 2398 times)

jirafas

• Calf
Wake up LS Pro Duo through VPN
« on: October 06, 2009, 12:18:33 PM »

I have a LS Pro Duo set in auto. It wakes up when someone starts up a computer connected to the LAN with NasNavi installed. I would like to wake up the LS with a computer connected remotely through a VPN. The VPN is a Windows incoming connection PPTP.

Any thoughts?

Thanks 

JohnGray

• Calf
Re: Wake up LS Pro Duo through VPN
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2009, 01:03:58 PM »
   Try this Depicus webpage.   I've not tried it myself, not needing to wake up anything over a VPN, but the command-line WOLcmd is a staple program.

PCPiranha

• Big Bull
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2009, 02:54:51 PM »
Since WOL uses broadcast frames, it likely will not work over a PPTP VPN connection. Also, if you were using another program or service to do the WOL, you would need to broadcast the WOL packets a few times a minute to keep the Linkstation awake

jirafas

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2009, 07:21:37 AM »

Thanks for the suggestions.

I have a "babysitter" computer always on connected to the LAN together with the LS. The computer does not have the Nasnavi software installed because it would have the LS awake all the time. My solution so far is to use RDP to run a WOL software to wake up the LS and then VPN to it. The second problem I am facing is that the LS goes to sleep if it does not receive a magic packet every (say) 30 seconds. The Depicus software does not have a continuous mode, it just sends the packet once. The question is: Is there a free software that can send packets periodically (just like Nasnavi) but that can be turned on and off? I am assuming Nasnavi does not have that capability.

Thanks.

JohnGray

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2009, 03:13:01 PM »

You could quite easily have a permanently-running BATch file like

:loop

wolcmd  <parameters>  9

ping -n 31 127.0.0.1 > nul

goto loop

which would send a single wake-on-LAN command (make sure you use port 9!) to the device every 30 seconds.  I've no idea why the Power Management Service sends 3 packets in a group each time...

jirafas

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2009, 10:14:20 AM »

Thanks for this.

It's not the most elegant solution but it suits the purpose. I am surprised WoL software (like Depicus) does not offer the option of periodically sending MPs.

I would suggest a "manual" option to be able to switch on and off an LS to be added to the next version of Nas Navigator software.