Author Topic: How To Access My Buffalo LS-V2.0TL NAS on a WiFi network?  (Read 4577 times)

rayj00

• Calf
How To Access My Buffalo LS-V2.0TL NAS on a WiFi network?
« on: October 06, 2019, 07:27:32 AM »

So, previously I accessed my NAS over my LAN.  It worked great.

However, I have relocated to another home that is pre-wired for WiFi by Spectrum. It's a fiber connection.   I have no ethernet plug-in connections.
I may pop and pay to have a hardwire ethernet installed in my office, but for now, how can I access my NAS drive?  I have a lot
of important stuff on it.

Can I just plug an ethernet cable into it and my PC and access it?

Thanks,

Ray

• Debian Wizard
  • Big Bull
  • There's no problem so bad you cannot make it worse
Re: How To Access My Buffalo LS-V2.0TL NAS on a WiFi network?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2019, 09:48:33 AM »

Possibly. Without a router/dhcp server you'd need to do some things manually that are normally automatic.

1. Manually set a suitable IP address for the wired Ethernet connection on your PC
2. Connect your linkstation to the pc and power it on
3. Use nasnavigator to set the ip address of the linkstation to one on the same subnet as your PC
4. access it at that ip address

I don't think you need a cross-over cable since modern NICs handle that automatically, though I'm not certain about that.

You could also try connecting both to an old router even if it's not connected to the internet, the dhcp server would then setup ip addresses for both device for you.

rayj00

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2019, 01:18:11 PM »

Possibly. Without a router/dhcp server you'd need to do some things manually that are normally automatic.

1. Manually set a suitable IP address for the wired Ethernet connection on your PC
2. Connect your linkstation to the pc and power it on
3. Use nasnavigator to set the ip address of the linkstation to one on the same subnet as your PC
4. access it at that ip address

I don't think you need a cross-over cable since modern NICs handle that automatically, though I'm not certain about that.

You could also try connecting both to an old router even if it's not connected to the internet, the dhcp server would then setup ip addresses for both device for you.

So basically all I did was add the ethernet cable from the NAS to my PC,  then share out the NAS.  That pretty much solved things....for now.

• Debian Wizard
  • Big Bull
  • There's no problem so bad you cannot make it worse
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2019, 02:26:30 PM »
Nice!

As far as I know the stock firmware on these devices doesn't have any wifi support. You could install Debian Linux on it, in which case you could add a USB wifi adapter and would be able to connect it to your wireless network.

oxygen8

• The Oxy-genuine article
  • El Toro
  • Giving you some breathing space.
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2019, 12:30:33 AM »
I am using this device as LAN-WLAN-Bridge. Powered from USB. Without any modification on the NAS.
https://www.amazon.de/Vonets-300Mbps-Router-Wireless-Repeater/dp/B0148NO58W/

max speed 15MB/s !
vs Gigabit 110MB/s