Author Topic: Terastation with Backup Exec 12.5  (Read 4372 times)

winklerd

• Calf
Terastation with Backup Exec 12.5
« on: October 02, 2009, 08:52:05 AM »

I know there have been a fair number of posts on this, but none of the solutions seem to work for me. I have Backup Exec 12.5 and a terastation. I am trying to backup from the tera to our backup storage. Every time I try and backup through a user-defined selection list, it gives an error connecting to the remote agent. But I don't want it to use a remote agent!

Kameran

• Big Bull
Re: Terastation with Backup Exec 12.5
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2009, 09:57:40 AM »

This is all the information we have on using backup exec.

http://support.veritas.com/docs/254193

I've also heard that if you create a username and password that is used in backup exec on the buffalo that can help.

parkerj

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2010, 04:22:00 AM »

Good Morning

I am having real trouble getting to grips with Backup Exec 12.5. I have a Terastation pro11 1TB. I currently have it connect to our Gigabit Network and APC Smart UPS. I have it running on raid 5 and connected Via a network share. The OS is Windows Small Business Server 2003. The backup works perfectly this way using Exchnages own backup utility. However, Exchange backup is not reliable hence 12.5 Backup Exec.

My question is this. I have printed out I think 1750 Pages of setting up backup exec. But I simply dont know how to mate the unit to this software. I have read that you need to install the remote agent on the terastation first. If this is correct, do I load that software on the folder created backup, on the Terastation itself?

I am not new to servers, but I am certainly stuck on understanding the relationship between backup Exec and Terastation.

Your help would be most welcomed!

Kind Regards

John

JoshC

• Big Bull
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2010, 04:32:05 AM »

You cannot put any software on the unit.  It will Void your Warranty.  Also we do not support back up Exec.  You can search our Storge Solutions and possibly find other post by other users that can help you further.

parkerj

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2010, 06:14:14 AM »

Thank you for your Reply.

I do think think that as the Terastation if for SMB,  then backing alone to the terastation is ill advised. I would have assumed there would be more details for connecting the device to some sort of software for a more granular robust backup solution.

But thanks for the short reply!

JoshC

• Big Bull
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2010, 06:03:33 PM »

You can hook up an external HD to the TS and then backup from the TS to an external HD.  You can set it up like this.

Backup Mode:

Normal Backup:

Saves as "yyyymmddhhmm\sourcename\data". Makes a new folder for each backup.

Overwrite Backup (Complete/Append)<labeled incorrectly as the first "Overwrite Backup (Complete/Differential)" on Linkstation Pro, Linkstation Live, Terastation Pro II, and Terastation Live>:

Saves as "_backups\sourcename\data". Does a complete backup every time, if a file is on the destination that is not on the source, it will not be deleted.

Overwrite Backup (Complete/Differential):

Saves as "_backups\sourcename\data". Does a complete backup every time, if a file is on the destination that is not on the source, it will be deleted.

Overwrite Backup (Append):

Saves as "_backups\sourcename\data". Does a complete backup the first time, subsequent backups only send the changes. If a file is on the destination that is not on the source, it will not be deleted.

Overwrite Backup (Differential):

Saves as "_backups\sourcename\data". Does a complete backup the first time, subsequent backups only send the changes. If a file is on the destination that is not on the source, it will be deleted.

Other options:

Create a file folder which would be identified by backup source:

If this is unchecked, any overwrite backup will overwrite files already existing on the share. This is useful if you want a backup that seems to be mirrored exactly in structure. There will be issues if you backup 2 shares to a single share

Use encrypted transfer:

Specify whether data should be encrypted when it is transferred for backup.

• Throughput is decreased if this encryption function is enabled.
  • Don't use this function when backup destination is a USB hard drive.

Use compressed transfer:

Specify whether data should be compressed when it is transferred for backup.

• When backup is performed via network by using this function, transferring speed may increase in the environment where network bandwidth is narrow. (It is not that backup all data into one archive).
  • Do not use this function when backup destination is a USB hard drive.

Create backup log files:

Create log files of the backup on the source folder.

Backup task isn't cancel even error is occurred<"Ignore the errors and proceed back up anyway." on Linkstation Pro>:

If enabled, after a backup failure, subsequent scheduled backups will still be performed

Other Notes

• Linkstation Live, Terastation Pro II, and Terastation Live all nearly the same interface as Linkstation Pro. Have some of the same typos as well.
  • Trashbox on source is backed up to destination (only tested on LSPro so far).

Sources

From the "Help" Document on the Terastation Pro:

Backup Operation mode: Select backup operation mode among the followings. - Normal Backup - Overwrite Backup (Complete/Append) - Overwrite Backup (Complete/Differential) - Overwrite Backup ?Append Backup? - Overwrite Backup (Differential Backup)

• If [Overwrite(Differential)] is used, any files which does not exist on the backup source are deleted without any beforehand confirmation. Please be careful not to miss important data.
  • In any operation mode except for normal backup, all data are overwritten to backup destination. Please be careful not to miss important data.
  • Don't operate any file (change file name, delete and so on) in backup source folder while backup is performed. Otherwise, backup procedure may be faulty terminated

Behavior in each mode is as shown in the following table. Behavior differs largely depending on whether [Create folder from which backup source can be identified] on backup option is set.

• The description below is explanation for the case when [/target] is set as backup destination folder.
Backup Operation mode Create folder from which backup source can be identified Backup source folder Backup Result Description
NormalSet (mandatory)/share/target/(date&time)/shareBackup all files/folders under "/share".
NormalSet (mandatory)/share/folder/target/(date&time)/share/folderBackup all files/folders under "/share/folder".
Overwrite(Complete/Append)Set/share/target/_backups/shareFiles/folders existing only on / target/_backups/share are not deleted when in backup. And all files are overwritten every time when backup is performed.
Overwrite(Complete/Append)Set/share/folder/target/_backups/share/folderFiles/folders existing only on target/_backups/share/folder are not deleted when in backup. And all files are overwritten every time when backup is performed.
Overwrite(Complete/Append)Not Set/share/targetFiles/folders existing only on target/ are not deleted when in backup. And all files are overwritten every time when backup is performed.
Overwrite(Complete/Append)Not Set/share/folder/target/folderFiles/folders existing only on target/folder are not deleted when in backup. And all files are overwritten every time when backup is performed.
Overwrite(Complete/Differential)Set/share/target/_backups/shareFiles/folders existing only on target/_backups/share are deleted. And all files are overwritten every time when backup is performed.
Overwrite(Complete/Differential)Set/share/folder/target/_backups/share/folderFiles/folders existing only on target/_backups/share/folder are deleted. Even if there is any difference on /target/_backups/share layer, the files on the layer are not deleted. All files are overwritten every time when backup is performed.
Overwrite(Complete/Differential)Not Set/share/targetFiles/folders existing only on /target are deleted. And all files are overwritten every time when backup is performed.
Overwrite(Complete/Differential)Not Set/share/folder/target/folderFiles/folders existing only on target/folder are deleted. Even if there is any difference on /target layer, the files on the layer are not deleted. All files are overwritten every time when backup is performed.
Overwrite (Append)Set/share/target/_backups/shareFiles/folders existing only on /target/_backups/share are maintained as they are (not deleted). Only files which file size or time stamp has been changed are copied.
Overwrite (Append)Set/share/folder/target/_backups/share/folderFiles/folders existing only on /target/_backups/share/folder are maintained as they are (not deleted). Only files which file size or time stamp has been changed are copied.
Overwrite (Append)Not Set/share/targetFiles/folders existing only on /target are maintained (not deleted). Only files which file size or time stamp has been changed are copied.
Overwrite (Append)Not Set/share/folder/target/folderFiles/folders existing only on /target/folder are maintained (not deleted). Only files which file size or time stamp has been changed are copied.
Overwrite (Differential)Set/share/target/_backups/shareFiles/folders existing only on target/_backups/share are deleted. Only files which file size or time stamp has been changed are copied.
Overwrite (Differential)Set/share/folder/target/_backups/share/folderFiles/folders existing only on target/_backups/share are deleted. Even if there is any difference on /target/_backups/share layer, the files on the layer are not deleted. Only files which file size or time stamp has been changed are copied.
Overwrite (Differential)Not Set/share/targetFiles/folders existing only on /target are deleted. Only files which file size or time stamp has been changed are copied.
Overwrite (Differential)Not Set/share/folder/target/folderFiles/folders existing only on / target/folder are deleted. Even if there is any difference on /target layer, the files on the layer are not deleted. Only files which file size or time stamp has been changed are copied.

• Backup behavior is specified by the conbination of [Overwrite(differencial)] and [Create folder from which backup source can be identified]. Depending on conbination, it may not operate as you have expected.

AlexD1979

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2010, 08:01:42 AM »

Hello,

I have a similar problem, with BE 12.5 on a SBS 2008 Server and a Terastation Rackmount with Bios V 1.41. The shared folders have user permissions with Active Directory users assigned to this share.

I create the users in BE, but get everytime an "Access denied".

leokch

• Calf
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2011, 11:04:31 PM »

Hi

Is there a function that allows auto back up at specific time each day if I leave both TS and an external HDD that is connected on?