Author Topic: URGENT!! Need to stop RAID resynching!!!  (Read 5316 times)

rmitchell

• Calf
URGENT!! Need to stop RAID resynching!!!
« on: October 01, 2009, 11:47:07 AM »

Machine: TS-RHTGL/R5 F/W 1.33 (1TB)

Awhile back (6 months or so) we needed a mission-critical data storage and were sold this machine by my Dell Representative. He indicated it was "top of the line" and "very reliable".

The server had been getting slower and slower over a a couple of weeks. I contacted Tech Suport via phone and was told to upgrade the F/W, that would fix the problem. That was Tuesday. Yesterday appeared to be fine. This morning all drives were unavailable, and the diplay had the "Message" indicator lit up, and Drive 3 was flashing green; I could not access the webui.

I rebooted the machine (not init- just power down and up again). The machine booted fine and went online, all data was available. About 15 minutes later, I got reports the data was offline AGAIN and the machin now displays "Resynching RAID", and webui showed "system performance decreasing", and logging in the machine is now resynching the RAID.

We are in active production and CANNOT WAIT 6-8 HOURS for this to come back online.

How do i:

1) get the "messages" when the message indicator lights up;

2) identify if drive 3 is going bad; and MOST IMPORTANTLY

3) Kill the RAID RESYNCH until after production hours?

I'd appreciate all thoughts and suggestins - this is a critical issue for us and we are loosing revenue as long as this machine is down.

PCPiranha

• Big Bull
Re: URGENT!! Need to stop RAID resynching!!!
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2009, 03:10:36 PM »

1.  See what kind of pattern the lights are blinking in (how many/ long and short).

2.  If the drive is bad the LED for the drive will light up red (or you can have email notification set up)

3.  You cannot stop a RAID Resynch

rmitchell

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2009, 06:02:06 PM »

The terastation began resynching at 8:30AM this morning. It is now 7.5 hours later and it is at only 20% completed.

I have had the machine disconnected from the network so I know nobody has tried to access data. At this rate, it will take 30 more hours to synch!

I have already lost an entire day to this. What can I do to stop this and get access to the company data?

This is now a serious issue, even more than before!

Randy

rmitchell

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2009, 06:08:27 PM »

as far as light pattern:

the Link/Act light is steady/flickers while the cable is plugged in

the Message light is solid yellow

#3 rapid flashes continously green

#1, #2, #3, #4 all rapid flash green together at intermittant times.

there is no pattern.

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2009, 03:18:01 AM »
   Only option as far as i know is to leave it complete, if you reboot it then it starts from the beginning.
PM me for TFTP / Boot Images / Recovery files  LSRecovery.exe file.
Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!

rinthos

• Buffalo
Re: URGENT!! Need to stop RAID researching!!!
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2009, 09:52:51 PM »

As an fyi...

Mission critical data on SATA drives...not a good sales pitch. Your Dell rep should've referenced Equalogic or EMC solutions w/ SCSI-based solutions...(if keeping w/i the dell product offerings)...

That aside, for critical data the sata solution can be 'leveraged' if you have 2 systems and have them replicate to eachother...Although again, there's still inherent risk.

As for the resync, they've taken as long as 2 days for us here, so set your expectations accordingly.  And as davo mentioned, do NOT restart the unit, or it will restart without any prompt or option to cancel.