Author Topic: ftp setup help  (Read 3766 times)

BobNY

• Calf
ftp setup help
« on: November 08, 2008, 06:18:46 PM »

I have a Linkstation (HD-H160) and a Linksys wireless router (WRT54G).  The Linkstation has several hundred files on it that visitors to my website would be able to access.  I setup the Linkstation ftp and it works fine within my local network but can't be accessed from outside.  I assume there's some settings that need to be changed, either on the Linkstation or the router.

Could someone kinda walk me through the process to make this work from my website?

Thanks! 

Matt_M

• Buffalo
Re: ftp setup help
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2008, 06:21:10 PM »
You need to forward ports 20 and 21 within the Linksys router to the internal IP address of the Linkstation, you can find instructions for your specific router on Linksys's website or you can find generalized instructions at http://www.portforward.com/guides.htm

BobNY

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2008, 09:49:41 PM »

I'm confused!  I've looked at the links mentioned and followed others from there.  They all appear to be related setting up addresses for a computer, not for a network drive.  It also appears that I need to have a static address?

The IP addresses I have are:

External IP   67.240.219.113

Router IP     192.168.1.1

Linkstation   192.168.1.105

Once I open the ports 20 and 21 (still not sure how that's accomplished .. I'm not exactly a techie!)  which IP address do I give out so others can access my ftp stored files?  I assume it wouldn't be the router ... there must be hundreds of these routers with the same address.  My guess is the External IP.

ahana

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2008, 03:07:38 PM »

email me at ahana@axcelltech.com and i will see if i can help you

al

BobNY

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2008, 03:28:19 PM »
   Thanks to both that responded.  I contacted Linksys and they worked through it with me.  Everything is working fine.

cyberazi

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2011, 10:47:27 PM »

how is it solved??