Author Topic: itunes does not see share (server)  (Read 7651 times)

megrendel33

• Calf
itunes does not see share (server)
« on: April 08, 2009, 07:38:19 PM »
   I have a Buffalo Linkstation Pro Duo (LS-WTGL/R1-V3 F/W 3.09) and itunes 8.1.1. I use to be able to see my NAS in itunes under devices but now it no longer shows on my laptop (vista) or workstation (xp). Songs that I have mapped to the NAS work fine, but the itunes server/share no longer shows. I have no idea what has caused this. Any suggestions? I have tried restarting the NAS and that has not helped.

gerald

• Calf
Re: itunes does not see share (server)
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2009, 03:45:05 AM »
   I have the same problems with buffalo Linkstation Pro duo. But I can see my library and play song with windows media 11 on Vista and XP. I install TwonkyMedia on my linkstation via : http://IP_LinkStation:9050

Dustrega

• Big Bull
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2009, 05:55:00 PM »
You are correct gerald that you can edit the settings in the LinkStation however since his settings have remained unchanged I would assume that the problem lies somewhere within iTunes. Are your network shares mapped using the Hostname of the NAS or the IP address?

megrendel33

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2009, 06:14:00 PM »
   The drives to the NAS are mapped via the hostname. However, I'm not sure how that would affect itunes detecting the NAS as a shared device. Any suggestions?

Dustrega

• Big Bull
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2009, 06:25:07 PM »
Basically, I have seen issues a number of times where name resolution with programs (Word, Photoshop, etc.) will not work. Could you give mapping by IP address a try?

megrendel33

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2009, 08:39:57 AM »
   Sorry, no luck. I remapped the drives from \\NAS\XXX to \\192.168.2.104\XXX and it's still not showing up as a share. I even flushed the DNS for the heck of it.

Dustrega

• Big Bull
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2009, 01:44:38 PM »
Fair enough I would think that this would be a question better posed with Apple since you're able to map the drive. The NAS was seen in previous versions of iTunes and now it's not. Since the software on your computer is the only thing that changed I would say contacting Apple would be your best bet.

megrendel33

• Calf
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2009, 06:01:22 PM »
   Hmmm.... I had an older computer sitting around that I installed an older version of itunes onto it (7.7). It didn't detect the itunes server either (although it could play songs off of the NAS). Is it time to do a reset to factory for the LS? This won't screw up the RAID 1 config or anything else will it?

LEGIONofPHREAKZ

• Calf
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2009, 12:59:04 PM »
   I have got the same problem when i updated my itunes to 8.1.1 today.  It used to work ever since I bought the LS-CHL 1-TB but now, it does not see the iTunes server.  So it must be the iTunes, Apple must have changed something in the latest version.  Hope Buffalo have a fix soon.

Dustrega

• Big Bull
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2009, 01:06:45 PM »
You could try a re-initialization (Log into the web admin page and go to Maintenance->Initialization->Restore). This should not affect your data.

Dustrega

• Big Bull
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2009, 01:07:45 PM »
If it's iTunes then I would think that Apple would have to have a fix for it soon. However, I'll look into this on our end and see what can be found. :)

soundslikefish

• Calf
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2009, 03:31:52 AM »

Hi, i have the same problem. My MAC works well with the Link-Station in iTunes, but my PC not. Look at this threat:

http://forum.nas-portal.org/showthread.php?p=33122

It seems to be a problem on PCs (not MACs) installed the new iTunes 8.1 with Bonjour. Hopefully Apple will fix this soon. To use the Link-Station now you perhaps have to downgrade to an older iTunes-Version.

Abyker

• Calf
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2010, 08:48:53 AM »

A possible solution, go to preferences in Itunes and deselect copy to libary, then drag your folders with music to your itunes playlist.

Itunes will not copy the songs to your harddrive but you can play them if you are connected to your NAS drive.