Author Topic: Recovering from Defective Unit  (Read 1298 times)

jeepx19

• Calf
Recovering from Defective Unit
« on: September 20, 2019, 10:56:48 AM »
Hello, hoping to get some clarification on data recovery process because I cannot find any documentation on the Buffalo support site which explains the process.

We are considering Terastation 51210RH Rack Mount Model (specifically, model TS51210RH9612) as a backup target in one of our remote offices. I know that these can come with a 5 year warranty on both disks AND the array itself. I have received clarification that when you do an RMA, you receive the replacement unit before having to mail back the defective unit. And, that is OK.

However, what is Unclear is how you recover if the the hard disks are healthy but the actual Terastation ITSELF has a hardware failure. Does Buffalo send a replacement Terastation which I then pull my disks from the old array and place it in the replacement array? I know I can do this, however, what happens to the data? There is RAID and ISCSI specific configuration on the old array that would need to somehow transfer to the new array.

I know the old adage is "Make sure you have backups" but in this case, it IS the backup as it is a storage target for our backup system. So, "backup your backups" is just silly.

Any suggestions on this process and how it works? Has anyone had to replace their array? If yes, how did you get your data from the old array to new array?

Thanks,
Sean

Texturtle

• Administrator
  • RAID is NOT a substitute for a good backup
Re: Recovering from Defective Unit
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2019, 11:03:01 AM »
Sean,

Moving healthy drives from unit to another will work fine in most cases, the OS and array metadata are stored on the drives. For more information I'd advise you to get in touch with our sales team. If you like they can set up a call with our sales engineer to answer any questions you may have.

Coys55

• Calf
Re: Recovering from Defective Unit
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2019, 08:49:30 AM »
I know the old adage is "Make sure you have backups" but in this case, it IS the backup as it is a storage target for our backup system. So, "backup your backups" is just silly.

Unless you can risk the primary storage failing too before you have a new backup running, I disagree that backups of backups is silly. In fact if the data is critical to your business it's essential. I even have backups of my backups at home, which I agree may be unusual, but I'd be extremely upset if I lost it all.