Author Topic: Very slow backup speeds for Linkstation QUAD  (Read 1658 times)

arasekhi

• Calf
Very slow backup speeds for Linkstation QUAD
« on: September 16, 2009, 01:17:30 PM »

I purchased the Linkstation QUAD to backup the three computers (one Mac Leopard, two Mac OS 10.4) we have at home and to use is as the place to store all our music so it can be access by the Sonos sound system.

Unfortunately, on the backup side, the backup is painfully slow on both my wireless laptops and the wired desktop system.   To give an example, on one of my laptops, I have about 30GB to backup.  I started the backup at 6pm and it's only backed up 3.4GB by next day at 10am.  is there something i can do to speed this up?

I am running the Memeo Backup software that came with the product.  Straight copying from the same laptop to the QUAD seems to take about 2 hours per 1GB which is still slow but more more acceptable than the above.

Please advise.  Is there anything I can do to speed up the backup?  Are there specific types of files that slow down the backup?  Is there any tweaking I can do to the QUAD or my Macs or the network to help speed this up?  For example, the Memeo seems to be super slow backing up .emlx files on my laptop which are email files I guess.  Any help you can provide would be much appreciated.