Author Topic: Reinstalling to an out-of warranty NAS with blank drives  (Read 75931 times)

• Debian Wizard
  • Big Bull
  • There's no problem so bad you cannot make it worse
Re: Reinstalling to an out-of warranty NAS with blank drives
« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2019, 12:40:34 PM »
usually I connect them to another system and wipe them or use gdisk to remove the partition table.

if that is inconvenient you can connect to the EM Mode device using acp_commander and wipe the drives directly using dd. If the drives have an MBR type partition table it should be sufficient to just wipe the first few kilobytes of the drive, if it's using GPT you'd need to also wipe out the backup partition table .

if you want to try it directly on the device you can get a copy of acp_commander here:
https://github.com/1000001101000/acp-commander

BlackScorpion

• Calf
« Reply #16 on: December 25, 2019, 03:30:30 PM »
I can connect them to my MAC and wipe them, what format would i use to erase them?  MSDOS (fat) or  EXFat?

• Debian Wizard
  • Big Bull
« Reply #17 on: December 25, 2019, 04:56:23 PM »
Neither. They need to be blank as in no partition table/filesystem.

I found this which sounds like how to do it on a mac:

https://www.idownloadblog.com/2015/06/20/how-to-delete-partition-mac/

BlackScorpion

• Calf
« Reply #18 on: December 25, 2019, 05:25:22 PM »
Neither. They need to be blank as in no partition table/filesystem.

I found this which sounds like how to do it on a mac:

https://www.idownloadblog.com/2015/06/20/how-to-delete-partition-mac/

On a Mac when you erase a volume it ask you how you want to format  it,  as those instructions show, they selected Mac OS X Extended (Journaled) as you can see in the attached image , those are my selections. It won't erase unless i select one of them.

BTW thanks for the help.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2019, 06:01:00 PM by BlackScorpion »

• Debian Wizard
  • Big Bull
« Reply #19 on: December 25, 2019, 06:06:55 PM »
Sadly, I don’t know my way around a mac very well. You can always use dd to do it from the command prompt.

It should be similar to the linux version though I think the disks are named differently on osx
Code: [Select]
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdx bs=512 count=1

BlackScorpion

• Calf
« Reply #20 on: December 25, 2019, 06:20:22 PM »
Sadly, I don’t know my way around a mac very well. You can always use dd to do it from the command prompt.

It should be similar to the linux version though I think the disks are named differently on osx
Code: [Select]
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdx bs=512 count=1

Yeah sorry, that code looks Chinese to me.. LOL  , I'm afraid if i erase the drives and won't be able to get it going. I don't have the original setup  software,  so i'm afraid of killing it completely if i erase the drives.

If i erase the 4 drives with my mac,  how would i be able to reinstall the software, do i just need to reinstall the firmware software?
« Last Edit: December 25, 2019, 06:47:35 PM by BlackScorpion »

BlackScorpion

• Calf
« Reply #21 on: December 25, 2019, 08:55:36 PM »
Good news got into the NAS, finally, i did manage to get some screen shots, hopefully i can get this straighten out. 

I got the following errors :

disk1_broken_error

disk4_broken_error

degrade_mode_info

I need to erase what's on here and start fresh. can someone guide me>  i also got a notice on the NAS window stating h2-4
1-3  raid 5 broken?

• Debian Wizard
  • Big Bull
« Reply #22 on: December 25, 2019, 09:00:59 PM »
sounds like progress. I'm not familiar with the error codes and don't know if that means the drives are literally malfunctioning or not. 

BlackScorpion

• Calf
« Reply #23 on: December 25, 2019, 09:22:57 PM »
sounds like progress. I'm not familiar with the error codes and don't know if that means the drives are literally malfunctioning or not.

It's alittle progress, how do i go about creating a new raid and deleting what;s there already, since somethings not right with the current setup.

• Debian Wizard
  • Big Bull
« Reply #24 on: December 25, 2019, 09:56:35 PM »
I think the disks menu somewhere in the webui

BlackScorpion

• Calf
« Reply #25 on: December 26, 2019, 11:15:23 AM »
I think the disks menu somewhere in the webui

Great success! Got it working re-formatted the drives from the webUi and the light is now blue on the window, have to re-do the Raid once it’s all done with the format and everything else.  Once again thanks for the help.

BlackScorpion

• Calf
« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2019, 10:31:22 PM »
Well i got the TS working i have a problems with drive 4, giving me an error, i'm thinking of just replacing all 4 drives and start new, does anyone know if my Terrastation TS-XEL7D8, (TS-XEL/R5 series) could handle larger size NAS drives? it currently has 4 2TB drives.

Kane88

• Buffalo
« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2020, 10:55:08 AM »
Well i got the TS working i have a problems with drive 4, giving me an error, i'm thinking of just replacing all 4 drives and start new, does anyone know if my Terrastation TS-XEL7D8, (TS-XEL/R5 series) could handle larger size NAS drives? it currently has 4 2TB drives.
Have you replaced the drives in it yet?   There is a TS-XE12.0TL, so looks like 3's were the most buffalo shipped out for that model.  Maybe it goes higher?  Unknown.  I can confirm 4tb drives do work in that model.  I've tried it.  I have an array formatted to 16TB currently in this model, and it works fine.

To wipe the drives on a MAC, this is what you need.  What you were doing to wipe- won't work.  You need a drive zeroing utility or drive wipe utility.

http://www.killdisk.com/killdisk-mac.htm

Or I'd look to see if Western Digital has wddiag for mac, that will wipe anything.  And should be free also.
And DBAN- darik's boot and nuke works- that's freeware stuff too, but you'd have to make a bootable usb flash drive for that one. 

Kane88

• Buffalo
Re: TFTP Repair links
« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2020, 11:03:27 AM »
I am grateful for all of the hard work and support provided on this issue, but one problem I have had is that many of the resources (TFTP Repair links, Debian images, etc.) miss the LS-QL series linkstation (e.g. LS-Q4.0TL/R5), which from experience appear not to be compatible with the LS-QVL series.
I was just curious if this issue for a TFTP boot image has been resolved for this model.

Is this the correct download page for this device?  A search for LS-Q4.0TL/R5 goes to here:
https://www.buffalotech.com/support/downloads/linkstation-quad

If so, then the TFTP files just have to be extracted from the firmware download on that page...

• Debian Wizard
  • Big Bull
« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2020, 12:32:21 PM »
The process works just fine for the LS-QL.

The only issue is that if you load directly to a disk this model (and all Orion/MV78100 based devices) need the inode size of the boot partition set to 128.