Products > Storage

Reinstalling to an out-of warranty NAS with blank drives

<< < (9/23) > >>

1000001101000:
I’m glad you were able to work past it. The issue sounds sort of familiar but lots of folks have been restoring these devices without running into it.

mloh:
Hi, am new with this forum. Pardon me if this has been asked before. I have a linkstation ls-qvl and recently there is a power failure. as not able to access in, i have switch off and switch on again the linkstation but now the power is on as i can see the light at the back but not in front panel and the ethernet is connected cos is blinking but there are no light indication whatsoever on the function. Any idea if the motherboard is fried or just not able to connect to the drives?

Your respond and help is much appreciated.

1000001101000:
There are a few possible explanations for this. I would start by unplugging the power adapter and plugging it back in and verify whether the led next to where the power adapter connects to the device turns on in addition to the network led. Then try turning it on with the button on the front, if it still doesn't work you can try starting it without drives and see if that makes a difference.

A power failure could put the device in an odd state that can be corrected by unplugging it which has a good chance of resolving your issue. If something is wrong with the power supply or mainboard it could also cause what you are seeing. If the power supply isn't providing the normal amount of power the device might start without drives (which take most of the power).

mloh:
Hi,

Thanks for your reply. I have tried what you have suggested to remove all hard drives and plug in the adapter. The green light is on after plugin the adapter. When press the power button in front, the fan starts turning and the ethernet port lights up (even though the cable is not plug in tho) There are still no lights indication on the front side. Does this means that the mainboard has issue?

Thanks again.

--- Quote from: 1000001101000 on June 17, 2020, 08:43:46 AM ---There are a few possible explanations for this. I would start by unplugging the power adapter and plugging it back in and verify whether the led next to where the power adapter connects to the device turns on in addition to the network led. Then try turning it on with the button on the front, if it still doesn't work you can try starting it without drives and see if that makes a difference.

A power failure could put the device in an odd state that can be corrected by unplugging it which has a good chance of resolving your issue. If something is wrong with the power supply or mainboard it could also cause what you are seeing. If the power supply isn't providing the normal amount of power the device might start without drives (which take most of the power).

--- End quote ---

1000001101000:
Some sort of mainboard or power supply issue by the sound of it. It's hard to separate the two without additional testing. I've seen basically the same behavior from 12v supplies that were broken and only providing ~5v but have also seen similar from broken boards as well. Either way i can't think of a non-hardware issue at this point. I would say try a different power supply but that assumes you have another 19v supply handy which is somewhat unlikely.

If only the leds failed for some reason it might look like it was doing nothing when actually mostly working, but I doubt there's a scenario that would cause all front leds to fail without taking out more vital things as well.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version