Author Topic: Unable to re-load Firmware using TFTP method (tryin gto fix 6 red flashes)  (Read 2567 times)

Thechef

• Calf

Hi,

My Linkstation Live has developed a fault where by when switched on the unit flashes the error (red) light 6 times, the a pause.  whilst emitting a 2-tone error alert.

I've tried to follow the TFTP method outline at the top of the page, however i've not been successful - the TFTP Boot.exe cmd screen never advances from "Accepting Requests..."

I'm confident i've applied the static address to the laptop im using (as one of the first lines of the TFTP Boot screen is "Listening On: 192.168.11.1"

But what i'm not convinced on is the unit being in EM mode.  For the TFTP method to work - does the unit HAVE to be in EM mode - if so, how do I force this?

I've also used the tutorial at the top of tha page - and followed the method of holding down reset whilst turning the unit on - but I can seem to get it in EM mose - the Error light flashes up within ~5 seconds of powering up the unit.

Any ideas???

Thanks

Thechef

• Calf
Re: Unable to re-load Firmware using TFTP method (tryin gto fix 6 red flashes)
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2009, 08:58:27 AM »

Anyone have any ideas on what can tried?  I'm very keen to attempt data recovery on this drive - but want to explore every avenue before invalidating the warrenty.

Thanks

Dustrega

• Big Bull
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2009, 07:46:45 AM »

If you're booting the device into EM and getting the 6 red lights then it's possible that a couple things could be the issue:

1. Your system board might be damaged (i.e. SATA controller)

2. Your HDD might have a problem (i.e. corrupted sectors beyond limits, read/write heads are damaged or the actuator arm is toast)

Granted that the first only occurs usually due to a power outage or the like but a bad HDD is usually the more common scenario.  My recommendation if you're still in warranty is to setup an exchange via your regional tech support.

European

• Tatanka
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2009, 10:21:29 PM »

When the unit is started in EM mode, it will first attempt a tftp boot, next it will attempt to boot from harddisk, finally, if it is unable to boot, you will see the flashes.

Yes, to be able to perform a tftp boot, you have to start the unit in EM mode. If the unit is flashing, it either was never in EM mode or it was unable to perform a tftp boot.

http://forums.buffalotech.com/buffalo/board/message?board.id=0101&message.id=13633#M13633

JoshC

• Big Bull
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2009, 02:39:49 AM »

When you go through the Firmware Updates and even the TFTP and still nothing thats a pretty good indicator that it is indeed a bad HD as Dustrega pointed out.