Author Topic: Recovering a Terastation Pro TS-2.0TGL/R5 RAID 5 Array Parameters  (Read 3483 times)

sidmanm

• Calf
Recovering a Terastation Pro TS-2.0TGL/R5 RAID 5 Array Parameters
« on: September 19, 2009, 09:41:03 PM »

Hi - Sadly, a TS-2.0TGL/R5 with a single RAID 5 partition had a single drive failure, but somehow corrupted the rebuilding of the RAID array on the Terastation.  Yes, I've tried the web-based tool to rebuild the array - twice, as well as the EM mode to get the device up and running with the new 500 GB SATA drive to replace the failed drive.  The other 3 drives are fine, but RAID rebuilding failed enough times such that I was told that 3rd party data recovery is the only option from Tech Support.

I've patiently waited for a week or so for Buffalo Tech to confirm some RAID settings so I can try to recover the data via R-Studio.  Most of it was backed up, a small part had not hit it's backup cycle, and it would be great to recover it.

Specifically, for the TS-2.0TGL/R5, can anyone confirm the following:

- a total of 4 unique partitions per 500 GB hard drive; the TS-2.0 TGL/R5 is a 2 TB NAS (when it works)

- Partition 3 being the partition used for the RAID data

- The block size for the RAID 5 set is 4 KB

- The orientation is Left-Symmetrical (also known as Left-Synchronous)

- There is no offset used (this is the most critical attribute I would be grateful for a confirmation)

Kind thanks,

Michael