Author Topic: USB probs / Share folder is corrupt?  (Read 1800 times)

MrPeabody

• Calf
USB probs / Share folder is corrupt?
« on: September 21, 2009, 09:09:30 AM »

Hi all,

I have an LS-WTGL/R1-V3, firmware #3.10, set up as a 1TB RAID 0. It has worked fine for the last year, but suddenly decided to go south on me.

Recently, I tried hooking a Seagate FreeAgent USB drive to the Linkstation. It works fine for a few days, then becomes inaccessible to the Linkstation and the PCs on the network. The LS web access page shows the name and model of the drive, but under the capacity and file sytem listing, it says "not available". Reformatting the USB drive fixes the problem for a week or so, then it goes right back to the problem.

While I went to tinker with that problem yesterday, I noticed the RAID on the Linkstation had mysteriously gone from 66% full to 0.02% full, meaning 600GB of data decided to disappear. The share folder is listed on the LS, and in Explorer on all the PCs (XP and Vista), but clicking on it simply times out with a "path not found" error. Thinking maybe the RAID was corrupt, I ran the disk check through the web admin, but everything came back okay. I can create a second shared folder through the LS, and that works just fine.

Last but not least, I noticed that the power LED front of the unit went from solid blue for the last year or so to solid green now. I'm, not quite sure what that means...

So, I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on what to try to get my data back? Or should I just bite the bullet, pull the drives out, stick them in a Linux box and pray that I can drag something out of the RAID? I've done all I can think of, so any help or insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

PCPiranha

• Big Bull
Re: USB probs / Share folder is corrupt?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2009, 10:59:17 PM »

"Recently, I tried hooking a Seagate FreeAgent USB drive to theLinkstation. It works fine for a few days, then becomes inaccessible tothe Linkstation and the PCs on the network. The LS web access pageshows the name and model of the drive, but under the capacity and filesytem listing, it says "not available". Reformatting the USB drivefixes the problem for a week or so, then it goes right back to theproblem"

What format was the external HDD in?

"While I went to tinker with that problem yesterday, I noticed the RAIDon the Linkstation had mysteriously gone from 66% full to 0.02% full,meaning 600GB of data decided to disappear. The share folder is listedon the LS, and in Explorer on all the PCs (XP and Vista), but clickingon it simply times out with a "path not found" error. Thinking maybethe RAID was corrupt, I ran the disk check through the web admin, buteverything came back okay. I can create a second shared folder throughthe LS, and that works just fine."

Sounds like file corruption to me, first I would confirm that the IP address didnt change (as this would give you network path not found).

"So, I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on what to try to getmy data back? Or should I just bite the bullet, pull the drives out,stick them in a Linux box and pray that I can drag something out of theRAID? I've done all I can think of, so any help or insight would begreatly appreciated. Thanks!"

Linux or UFS Explorer would be your only options besides professional data recovery service.  This would void your warranty.  I will give you as much info as I can if it comes to this.

MrPeabody

• Calf
Re: USB probs / Share folder is corrupt?
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2009, 11:50:35 PM »

Sorry, I forgot to mention that I formatted the external with XFS through the web admin. The IP addy is static and didn't change, as I can still see the LinkStation as a network resource, including the info folder (which only has Japanese stuff in it, for some odd reason). Windows just complains it cannot access the 'share' folder only.

I'm thinking it is corruption issue also, although I can't for the life of me figure out when and why it happened. I figured I'd see if anyone knew of any obscure voodoo hexes as a last resort before I pull the drives out. The unit is about 18 months old, so I'm not too worried about the warranty. I'm commandeering the kids' computer and installing UFS Explorer as I speak. Thanks!

Message Edited by MrPeabody on 09-21-2009 11:51 PM