Author Topic: Missing disk space  (Read 2988 times)

wthalliii

• Calf
Missing disk space
« on: September 13, 2009, 12:50:50 AM »

I have a LS-WTGL/R1-V3 F/W 3.09 with 2 TB of storage, set up as a Raid 1. I recently deleted a bunch of files from it, but the space was not released. Now it says that the disk is 83.5% full, but I only have about 500GB of data on it. I am determining that figure by highlighting the folders in Windows Vista and clicking on properties.

Where is all my missing disk space, and how do I get it back?

The NAS is plugged into a  Linksys WRT310N, and there are several other Windows machines on the network, plus my Ubuntu server, which is behind a cascaded router. I most often access the NAS from the laptop, which links to the WRT310N via 802.11n.

Jotin

• Big Bull
Re: Missing disk space
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2009, 08:16:56 AM »
If you have the trash box enabled its not actually going to delete its just going to be moved to the trash folder.

wthalliii

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2009, 09:04:28 AM »
   How do I disable the trashbox and regain the space?

Memoryman

• El Toro
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2009, 04:38:03 PM »
   there's a trashbox setting in the Admin GUI for each folder.

PCPiranha

• Big Bull
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2009, 04:42:48 PM »
Make sure you delete the contents of the recycle bin before disabling it.

wthalliii

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2009, 09:33:23 PM »

Okay, I went to the trashbin and deleted all the files. It wouldn't let me delete the folders. When I try to remove the lowest level of folder, it says the folder's not empty. But neither DOS nor Windows lists any files there. I also tried the attrib command, and that doesn't show any files, either. So, I disabled the trashbin. But the space was not recovered.

What else can I try?

PCPiranha

• Big Bull
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2009, 10:04:43 PM »
The only thing I can assume is data corruption.  I would pull the data off and reformat the array.

wthalliii

• Calf
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2009, 09:28:31 AM »

I was hoping there was an easier solution. It's going to be difficult to find another place for me to store 500 GB of data, not to mention the time to move it and move it back.

Thanks