Author Topic: Linkstation Pro and Time Machine Error (Snow Leopard)  (Read 15364 times)

1inhiding

• Calf
Re: Linkstation Pro and Time Machine Error (Snow Leopard)
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2010, 10:34:10 AM »

I had this problem, and it was infuriating - but for me it ended up being a simple fix - my network computer name had two spaces in it - instead of entering the computer name as john doe's macbook (with spaces in it), I ended up using john_doe and dropping the "macbook" or "imac" extension from the network name.  The key was using the underscore...Hope this works for y'all. (Buffalo if you're reading this, this is not listed in your setup documentation anywhere...)

-Geoff

dodosea

• Calf
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2010, 08:32:19 PM »

I'll try it.Thank you.!~~

dodosea

• Calf
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2010, 11:40:02 PM »

It still not work when I changed my network ID.

But I read a solution from here:  http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20090905212640957

You can try it ,I did nothing but copy a files (com.apple.TimeMachine.MachineID.plist.)include my mac's UUID into the Time machine diskimage,My timemachine was running!~~~~~

The key was telling your mac what's your UUID....Hope this works for y'all.

takio

• Calf
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2010, 09:18:32 AM »

I even ipgraded firmware to 1.33 and still getting error message 45 after awhile.

Snoopy007

• Calf
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2010, 10:09:03 AM »

My Link Station Pro LS-XHL is running firmware version: 1.10 and I am running SL 10.6.4 on my MacPro and I am also receiving the above mentioned error.

After much searching on this forum  and implementing the workaround solutions suggested above I still receive this same error.

So far I  have tried the manual solution of creating the sparshbundle file and also tried to remove all and add access restrictions to the target backup folder to see if this made any difference. Still no success. Would you suggest I update the firmware on the Link Station Pro? If so what version should it be?

Any otter suggestions as to how I can resolve this issue?

Dustrega

• Big Bull
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2010, 12:30:28 PM »

I would recommend upgrading the firmware since you're receiving an error.  The latest update in your region is 1.34

Snoopy007

• Calf
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2010, 05:37:27 PM »

Thxs for the advice,...Umm....Only problems are that unable to d/l from the downloads page onto my mac (firewall diabled), also how are you expected to install the firmware on to the LSP?

Thxs

Dustrega

• Big Bull
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2010, 06:20:52 PM »

You would extract the firmware on to a PC and run the lsupdater.exe application.

Snoopy007

• Calf
« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2010, 06:30:19 PM »

Hi, 

Finally managed to update the firmware on my LS-XHL to version 1.34 but am still receiving the "The backup disk image “/Volumes/Backup/RajeshAppleMac.sparsebundle” could not be created (error 45)." error message from time machine when it attempts the TM backup.

Can you please provide further advise or solutions?

Thanks

bughunter

• Calf
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2011, 12:40:28 PM »

After trying numerous suggestions (including those here) this worked for me... 

http://www.levelofindirection.com/journal/2009/10/10/using-a-networked-drive-for-time-machine-backups-on-a-mac.html

alxlr8

• Calf
« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2011, 09:06:29 AM »

I solved this. Here's what I have:

Macbook pro early 2011, OSX 10.6

LS-QVL 4.0TB Linkstation Quad Pro

Steps:

1) Set up a time_machine (or some other name) directory on the NAS web GUI - when doing so, uncheck recycle bin, check Apple, check Disk Backup, uncheck windows (to be safe)

2) under Extensions->Time Machine on the NAS web GUI, click Modify Settings and choose the time_machine directory (created in 1)) and also click Enable in the Time Machine tab. In the MAC information tab, you'll need to fill in the computer name and the MAC address. Do the following to obtain those:

a) for the computer name, go to Spotlight and type the word "Sharing" - click the "Top Hit", which will bring you to the Preferences->Sharing window. Where it says "Computer Name",  there's an Edit button. Click it, and notice that it already has highlighted a slightly-different version of your computer's name, sanitized for access over a network. Simply copy that precise name (WITHOUT the .local extension, which isn't highlighted anyway), and paste it into the "Target Host Name:" field in the MAC Information tab

b) for the MAC address, go back to the System Preferences window, and Click Show All and then click on Network. Whether or not you are connected to the NAS by Airport wireless or a wired connection through a switch etc., click on Ethernet in the left hand pane. Then click advanced at the bottom, and click on Ethernet within that window, then highlight and Copy the Ethernet ID to the clipboard. Paste that ID into the "Target MAC address:" field in the MAC Information tab of the NAS Web GUI. Now, there is some contention here on whether you should remove the ":"'s from the address before pressing "Create" at the bottom. My advice is that if you attempt to remove them, and the text box in which the ID has been pasted turns RED, then put the ":"'s back (making sure to have a colon every two characters). On the LS-QVL (where the text box turns red if ":"'s removed), the ":"'s needed to STAY. At this point, you should be ready to click "Create". NOW - AND HEAR THIS - *IF* clicking "Create" has been successful, then your MacBook will flash up an information Alert box telling you that it had "successfully created disk image" (or similar words). If so, then go and have a look in your time_machine directory in finder. You will see a sparsebundle file there which has the slightly-different version of your computer name at the beginning (the name sanitized for use on a network from part a)). For some reason, the time stamp on my sparsebundle was a bit screwed up, but I ignored this and it was fine.

NOW - You are probably reading this forum entry because you've already had problems with Error 45. As such, your time machine app on your MAC will be a little confused. You've clearly gone and told it that it should use the time_machine directory on the NAS for Time Machine backups, but it just couldn't make the sparsebundle for some reason. This time, however, I want you to go to your Time Machine button in the menu bar at the top of the Desktop, and click "Enter Time Machine". To check if you've had some success, go to Finder and see if "Time Machine" is now listed under your "Devices" in the left hand pane. If so, go back to your Time Machine menu above the Desktop, and click Backup Now. A few cobwebs might suddenly lift, and you'll find yourself backing up with the NAS - go get a piece of cake to celebrate (or maybe a flux capacitor)!

Good luck to everyone with ERROR 45. Please persevere, Time Machine DOES work with the Buffalo NAS, I just think Buffalo have been a little bit Lazy with writing up the FULL explanation. I don't work for Buffalo, I just looked around at some of the suggested fixes and used more than a fair bit of know-how to get it working for me. I hope you find this helpful!

alxlr8

• Calf
« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2011, 09:12:30 AM »

and for some reason, this web page linked from "bughunter" was down, so I don't know if they suggested the same things I said....

raymoncada

• Calf
« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2011, 12:37:14 PM »

Hello,

I had almost the same problems.

There are some things to have in mind

Make sure you have your computer's host name. [System]->[sharing]

the computer name must not have any spaces replace spaces with dashes

Make sure you have your physical ethernet mac address, not the wireless card even if you're connected to your network using wireless.

Make sure you create a folder in your linkstation exclude spaces, even dashes. the name not longer than 8 characters. Taken from time capsule settings. You can create a user for specific backup usage but I decided to play safe and used the mighty super-user created at setup time.

Hope this helps. email me if you need help.

-Ray

d_jay1

• Calf
« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2011, 09:31:02 AM »

I battled this for days until i got it working by trawling the web for answers.

enter this into your terminal..

ifconfig en0 | grep ether | awk '{print $2}' | sed 's/://g'

this will give you the correct MAC address to use.

re-enter this MAC address in your NASNavigator web settings, and create your sparsebundle using the same mac address using this rough guide...

http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?story=20080420211034137

(make sure you use the suffix "g" for gigabytes, NOT gb

copy the sparsebundle to the folder on your buffalo drive you're backing up to

then run time machine.   should work!

basically, the MAC displayed in my 'about this mac'  wasn't the correct address, so the drive couldn't connect properly.

tsekhar

• Calf
« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2011, 11:13:22 AM »

Worked like a charm!!!