Author Topic: Help needed sync options  (Read 1531 times)

mndad

• Calf
Help needed sync options
« on: May 01, 2011, 12:40:53 PM »

I know I can't be the only ones with these questions.....can someone PLEASE help???. 

i am considering getting the CloudStor Pro NAS but had questions in 2 areas.

1) sync options - It sounds like there are some issues with ActiveCopy and it only supports "copy".  I am currently thinking of using SyncToy so that I can have both 1 way or 2 way synchronization, based on the particular folder.  ie music and videos = 1-way, documents and shared files = 2-way.  Would SyncToy be my best bet for now?  Is there a better option? (freeware preferred, licensed option ok if it won't cost me too much with # of computers involved).

2) file resizing.  The demo videos describe "automatic resizing" of photos and videos.  That sounds good, but how do I allow sharing of original format files for downloading and printing?  Is it just talking about the thumbnail views?  Will the original hi-res jpg be available for friends to create good prints from? Also what about my hd videos?  Is there anything that I need to do to not lose my originals?

Planned configuration:

Home = 3 windows netbooks, 1 windows desktop and 1 macBookPro

Remote (kids at college) 1 windows laptop and 1 macBookPro

Primary need is to provide easier backup for each machine. Secondary need is to share files bewtween users.

mndad

• Calf
Re: Help needed sync options
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2011, 10:57:35 AM »

I know I can't be the only one that wants to keep files in sync.  I am just looking for some pros/cons regarding options.  Having a NAS for backup is ok, but sharing files and having the updates synchronize is where it's real value comes in. 

Please help and/or direct me to where I can get the recommendations.