Author Topic: HD-HGLAN firmware update after HDD replacement  (Read 5539 times)

jdhminc

• Calf
HD-HGLAN firmware update after HDD replacement
« on: November 07, 2008, 07:48:22 AM »

I decided to start a new thread after realizing my problems with my HD-HGLAN might be different than what they originally seemed to be. Here are the "highlights" of what happened so far:

1. My unit is a Giga Link Station HD-HG400LAN  (400GB HDD)

2. The unit stopped functioning with the DISK FULL light always on

3. Technical support diagnozed a faulty HDD

4. HDD was under warrenty (thankfully!) and was replaced with exact same model by HDD manufacturer

5. HDD was phisically replaced in the HD-HGLAN

6. NAS Navigator recognizes a HD-HGLAN-EM with unformatted HDD, firmware version shows -----

7. A firmware update using FW Updater 1.42 was run in Windows 2000 compatibility mode with the /force switch

8. The update requests a password, and following tech support advice none is entered

9.  The firmware update starts - "LinkStation firmware has been renewed" message shows, the green time bar continues to work, all Link Station diag lights blink and HDD sounds like it is working

10.  "Settings are being restored"message appears

11. The update FAILS!!! a message says "Attempt to renew firmware has failed"

similar attempt with version 1.61 has the exact same results. Having the disk as a FAT32 disk renders no HDD box on the NAS Navigator screen, so I erased the disk and the partitions again.

Is my problem the firmware or the drive? My assumption is that "something" needs to be written to the drive as part of the firware update, yet the drive is not formatted, and I do not know how to format it to that EX (?) format that buffalo like so much...

A, I looking for a drive format utility? Am I looking for a different firmware updater? Or am I simply bricking the Link Station, installing the drive in a different PC, and saying goodbye to the NAS concept, given PC's are so cheap these days?!

HELP!!! And thanks in advance...  

Paul

• Big Bull
Re: HD-HGLAN firmware update after HDD replacement
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2008, 09:49:00 AM »
We do not have the TFTP software designed for the HAD hd-hglan.  This would solve the issue, if it is still under warranty then I would call your local support and set up an RMA

jdhminc

• Calf
Re: HD-HGLAN firmware update after HDD replacement
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2008, 10:05:46 AM »
   Unfortunately, my Buffalo warranty is long gone... I did not resolved the problem, but I am using the HDD now in one of my servers, and backing up to that location... I guess no NAS for me!