Author Topic: LinkStation Live and Mac OS X Snow Leopard  (Read 12733 times)

MattCheetham

• Calf
Re: LinkStation Live and Mac OS X Snow Leopard
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2009, 01:48:54 PM »

I am having this exact same issue. Same setup

Snow leopard 10.6.1

Linkstation live on latest firmware

Get error 45 but file is created

Any news? 

Message Edited by MattCheetham on 09-14-2009 01:49 PM

MattCheetham

• Calf
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2009, 02:33:54 PM »

Ive managed to fix it!

I was using this guide : http://forums.buffalotech.com/buffalo/board/message?board.id=SolvedStorageThreads&thread.id=2777

And instead of creating it myself i logged into the linkstation live and entered the time machine section. Where it says mac id and host name i entered the details which i found from using the tutorial and the linkstation generated it itself and it just works now.

I generated two files, one with the top mac id that shows in terminal and one with the second. Im not sure which one its using right now but once the backup is complete ill drop by and edit to let you all know. 

EDIT: Confirmed, it was the one with the second mac ID that worked. Give this a try and let me know if this works for you guys? 

Message Edited by MattCheetham on 09-14-2009 02:36 PM

jdbmdos

• Calf
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2009, 07:17:45 PM »
   THIS WORKS!!  It is humming away backing up my MacBook with Snow Leopard 10.6.1 to the LinkStation Pro LS-HX1.0TL as I type this.  Kudos! I chose a 500G size so I still have lots of room for photos and picts on the remaining half of the drive.

jdbmdos

• Calf
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2009, 07:22:23 PM »

I should add that I used the link http://forums.buffalotech.com/buffalo/board/message?board.id=SolvedStorageThreads&thread.id=2777 as is.

I also used the first mac id from ifconfig | grep ether since I am wired. 

alexb

• Calf
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2009, 04:12:43 AM »

Exactly same problem here too.

linkstation live 1.10

mac os x 10.6.1

Getting error 45 with time machine and have tried manually creating the sparsebundle file as above. I'm connecting to the linkstation live wirelesslessly not through ethernet. Has anyone had any sucess running Time Machine over wireless connection? The people that have had sucess above seem to have got it plugged in on ethernet...

MacAzur

• Calf
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2009, 09:29:52 AM »

If this can help, I confirm that I have a LS-CH1.0 LiveStation under firmware 1.02 (the latest I found that installs with a Mac) and I have 2 macbooks (Snow Leopard) backing up wirelessly  to Time Machine.

But I must confess that it took me several days, one year ago to discover how to make it work, with almost no help from the tech support who did not know anything about the mac and even less about Time Machine :-(

Now, I just ran in a new problem which doesnt fit in this thread

hth

Memoryman

• El Toro
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2009, 10:29:41 AM »

would someone, with the error 45/sparse bundle error, please email screenshots to me or post screenshots here?

memoryman@buffalotech.com

List your OS revision and  Buffalo product/FW revision and whether you are wireless or wired.

This is a request from our engineers in Japan.

Memoryman

• El Toro
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2009, 03:30:52 PM »

*bump*  please read my last post

sailj32

• Calf
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2009, 06:58:29 PM »

I have sent screen shots by PM.  I'm using Mac OSx 10.6.1 on a MacBook Pro, with wlan.  I have not tried lan connection, but my other computer, an iMac, also with 10.6.1, is also using wlan successfully on this same LinkStation Quad.

The LinkStation is new, model LS-QL 1TB, version 1.05 firmware.

Memoryman

• El Toro
« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2009, 10:21:38 AM »

Thank you for the screenshots - I forwarded them to our Japanese engineers. If anyone else would send screenshots - please send them to memoryman@buffalotech.com

The more shots - the better for the engineers in Japan to understand this issue and get it resolved quicker.

sailj32

• Calf
« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2009, 04:53:21 PM »

I have solved this problem in my case.  Apparently TimeMachine expects to see the MAC address of the wired ethernet port as part of the file name it uses for backup, even if the computer is not using wired ethernet (for example, using Airport wireless).

So you need to get the MAC address **bleep** Preferences, not the Airport section.

I think that a previous post in this thread actually expained that, but it took me a while to figure this out - my bad.

Garnele

• Calf
« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2009, 05:12:24 PM »

Hi Salij

This sounds intersting, yet I can't quite follow you. The ***bleep*** means what? And which preferences do you mean and where to find them?

Thanks a lot!

Best, Garnele

sailj32

• Calf
« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2009, 05:25:44 PM »

Interesting - my post seems to have been edited.  I did not type the ***bleep***.

When you go into network system preferences to obtain the MAC address for the backup file, you need to select 'Ethernet' not 'Airport' even if you are using wireless communication.

fatandsmall

• Calf
« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2009, 12:57:10 PM »

http://forums.buffalotech.com/buffalo/board/message?board.id=SolvedStorageThreads&thread.id=2777

this guide final worked for me.    :smileyhappy:

That last hour I struggled to get Time Machine to accept my username and password.

Eventually BACKING UP via guest account.

setup:

macbook: 10.6.1

linkstation: LS-CH1.0TL  firmware 1.10

fgrimmelmann

• Calf
« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2009, 03:16:28 PM »

Same Problem, Snow Leopard and LinkStation Quad, very frustrating